No announcement yet.

Open heart surgery...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Albannach;686129]I'll respectfully disagree.

If you take something off, then put it back on, there should be nothing left over.

Engine swaps, short block fitting and the likes are marginally different and you may have the odd 'pocket bolt' left over; definitely not an 'alarming amount of stuff'. Swapping a head should leave nothing, that wasn't replaced, behind.[/QUOTE

I meant all the nuts and bolts you replace. I also took out the egr altogether along with the whole A/C system oh and I haven't gotten round to putting the engine hoist hooks back on. You see everything essential has been put back but just a few things tend to add up quickly and seem to be more than they really are.

I also ordered extra parts not knowing that they came with the gasket kit anyway. There is one seal though, that I got with the kit that bears no resemblance to anything that came off the engine but like you say as long as everything essential, important or needed that came off goes back on correctly, no problems.

I did the work myself because of a long history of shoddy work done by local garages ranging in prices charged and work done.

A clutch change on my old pug 306, they hadn't connected the air filter housing back onto the throttle body and it had fallen down fouling the gear linkage at the gearbox end.

I could go on but I'm not very good at typing and it takes me for ever just to make bl***y sense. But you get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
      I'd have had a go at it if I was 100% confident of having all the right tools and it wasn't just above freezing outside. I love this truck so I'd rather leave the job to somebody who has done a load of work for me in the past and always to a good standard. I don't mind doing brakes, servicing, exhaust etc but a head swap with all the stress and swearing that would entail, is a job best left to a pro where I'm the alternative.
      It took me 2-3 weeks to get everything ready, tools, parts, advise ( mainly on here through doing endless searching) and the balls brought on necessity, no more money to pay anyone to do it even if I could find anyone I trusted.

Comment

Garage called today to say she was ready but I was busy this afternoon so I'll pick her up tomorrow morning.

The head was cracked across all 4 cylinders between the valves, its amazing how they can still drive like this without blowing the top tank off the radiator.

Glad I got it sorted when I did. I'll post a photo of the old head when I collect it tomorrow.
        En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

That's good news Ross on getting the truck back so quick.
          Nearly 600m with the head like that is unbelieveable really.Will sort you some more soon aswell
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            That's good news Ross on getting the truck back so quick.
            Nearly 600m with the head like that is unbelieveable really.Will sort you some more soon aswell
            No worries Rich, thank you for all your help on this. Just give me a bell when you're ready.

They're tough old buses. At least she's sorted now and should be good for a long time, I have no plans to sell any time in the next 10 years.

Comment

Got the truck back this morning with the shiny new head fitted and all is well. Total bill £353 inc VAT for labour only which isn't too bad at all.

There were cracks on every cylinder between the valves and also across each of the combustion chambers.

Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 2:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 4:

The old head will be off to Roughtrax soon where it'll end up as bean tins or coke cans and they'll re-use the camshaft and valves etc.
              Last edited by Surfer Ross; 6 January 2011, 17:30.

Comment

Working...
              X