buying a surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a surf

i have just signed up to this site , as i am looking at buying a surf does anyone have any tips as to what i should look for etc etc
    from reading countless write up's i think the best buy is a 3rd generation diesel does anyone have any tips on importing myself i am currently looking at a site called algys'autos also some on ebay , but i do have a trust issue with these internet sites , does anyone have any recomendations
    thanks
    kevin

Hello welcome

Surf's are great! the major thing to look out for is the head cracks if the vehicle overheats (mainly on the 2.4 2nd gen) So look for signs of coolant problems - more intelligent people will be along soon with better advice - I believe from reading on here that Algy's autos are pretty good and reputable but i don't have any personal experience with them.
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by moseley View Post
      i have just signed up to this site , as i am looking at buying a surf does anyone have any tips as to what i should look for etc etc
      from reading countless write up's i think the best buy is a 3rd generation diesel does anyone have any tips on importing myself i am currently looking at a site called algys'autos also some on ebay , but i do have a trust issue with these internet sites , does anyone have any recomendations
      thanks
      kevin
      Kevin,

As Lee has stated, the main worry is the cylinder head but it is not confined to early 2.4s, it seems more prevalent on them but this is because they are generally older and have higher mileage. All of the diesel Surfs have an issue with the cylinder head cooling galleries being too close to the valves and all will eventually crack. They don't need to overheat for this to happen.

A good aftermarket head will have modified coolant paths and should stop a repeat of the problem. Its worth mentioning that the original heads last upwards of 15 years and it shouldn't put you off what is otherwise the very best of the Japanese 4x4s.

I would personally rather source a slightly older vehicle than go for a new import. You get nothing more for the extra outlay. The engine (with modified head) and drivetrain are good for 500k+ miles. Best to save money by going for a truck thats already in the country and tucking the rest away for the inevitable cylinder head replacement if you plan on keeping it long term.

You can avoid head problems by opting for the 2.7 petrol engine which doesn't seem to suffer. Experience of this engine in the UK is not as high as the diesels so it will come with issues of its own as with any engine, but it seems reliable thus far. Its also more economical than the diesel on longer runs but suffers slightly around town. It has more top end power but needs to be revved hard to get the best from it. The diesel on the other hand has more low rev urgency and provides a more relaxed drive.

All are belt-cam engines and belt changes are inexpensive compared to modern European vehicles. Servicing is very cheap and straightforward if you DIY.
      Last edited by Surfer Ross; 29 December 2010, 11:33.
      En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

thanks for the replys does anyone out there have any experiance with algys,autos also is there any special paperwork requirments i need to be aware of , from reading all the write ups i am looking at a 3rd gen 3ltr diesel, does any one have an recomendations
        thanks
        kevin

Comment

Originally posted by moseley View Post
          thanks for the replys does anyone out there have any experiance with algys,autos also is there any special paperwork requirments i need to be aware of , from reading all the write ups i am looking at a 3rd gen 3ltr diesel, does any one have an recomendations
          thanks
          kevin
          Don't discount the 2.7 petrol, its a superb engine and you're likely to get it cheaper than a diesel truck of the same spec. A friend of mine imported a Surf with Algy's Autos and can't speak highly enough about them.
          En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Working...
          X