Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - I'm scared now....

Hi Guys

Just purchased a K reg import 2.4 SSRX - and wish I'd found this site before I paid....

I pick it up a week on sat, and so far, from threads on here I should worry about:

A cracked head

the mileage being altered

overheating

Any more

[QUOTE=Stevie]Hi Guys

Just purchased a K reg import 2.4 SSRX - and wish I'd found this site before I paid....

I pick it up a week on sat, and so far, from threads on here I should worry about:

A cracked head.
    Only affects a few % of Surf 2.4s produced between 91 and 92. Most were recalled. Human nature says you won't read about the good ones.

the mileage being altered.
    I don't know if mine was clocked but the wear on the seats, pedals etc indicated that 120KM was about right.

overheating.
    Give the cooling system a good flush out with good old tap water. While it's drained down check the thermostat and rad cap for rust. Refill with deionised water and a good antifreeze. I was advised against using radiator flushing agents and so far, so good.
    Any more
    Watch out for people putting scare stories around. Enjoy your Surf and if the worst happens, once the head has been replaced with a modified one, you can relax in the knowlege that it won't go again.

Welome to Surf madness!!!
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie

Any more
      Yeah, the sky is gonna fall on your head, the martians are coming and Matt likes your daughter!

See, things could be much worse....

Relax dude! Every car built could suffer from the same stuff, and any forum covering any car will focus on any bad points, cos thats what people talk about. At least your forwarned and have all the advise you need.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie
        Hi Guys

A cracked head

the mileage being altered

overheating

Any more
        ive had my 2.4 surf 1993 Kreg for 15 months & when i found this great forum and read about the 2.4 heads i was worried but so far my beast has been fine . first thing to do is some preventative maintenance Replace Rad cap, Replace Thermostat. Do a coolant flush, change Cam Belt. then finally you have to get it DIRTY
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          ive had my 2.4 surf 1993 Kreg for 15 months & when i found this great forum and read about the 2.4 heads i was worried but so far my beast has been fine . first thing to do is some preventative maintenance Replace Rad cap, Replace Thermostat. Do a coolant flush, change Cam Belt. then finally you have to get it DIRTY
          I read somewhere else on this forum that using anything but the Toyota Red Forlife coolant can spell trouble,is this correct?I haven't touched the coolant on mine,if it ain't broke don't fix it!