Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

I have fought for the last hour trying to get my front ?halfshaft out (the one with the CV boots attached. Having followed the link Judwalk posted for me (thanks) I have disconected it and managed to get the inner part off the studs (losing skin and blood on the way) but I cannot get the righ angle to withdraw the outer CV boot and shaft as it Jams on the ? whish bone. I have removed the suspension bolt but still stuck.

Thanks for any help if I can I will post a piccy

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3858/cimg7416.jpg

Mark
    Last edited by madcampbell; 15 December 2010, 17:30. Reason: Piccy

Remove the four nuts holding the top balljoint to the top wishbone then press down on the lower wishbone to withdraw driveshaft.

Comment

Try reducing the tension on the torsion bars, sometimes this helps.

I take you're trying to get the half shaft out, if so I know your pain, and in the end used a crow bar and swearing to get it out.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

His advice sounds better
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Thanks gents will try both ideas in the morning when it's light.

Yes I am trying to remove the half shaft, tried the swearing just need crow bar next!!

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Releasing the top balljoint is easier, then you can tilt the hub assembly towards you which allows more room to get the shaft out.

Comment

Think i remember sticking a scissor jack under the lower ball joint and cranked it up to level the wishbone out. Then popped the anti roll bar link off to give a bit more room when putting it back in.
              Think i resisted undoing the upper ball joint as me brain said don't as the torsion bar was acting on it, but thinking about it now if i had left the scissor jack out it would have been ok.....doh
              Remember arrows are silent.....................
              Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Looking at the pic, it just needs a good wiggle and push to get it out, I usually knock out two of the driveflange studs (they knock back in easily enough) gives loads of room to get the shaft back on. Re-fit the wheel before tightening the flange nuts, get someone to turn the wheel as you brace a spanner against the frame to get them tight, I also use this method to slacken them.

Jacking the lower wishbone to level helps with getting the shaft out too.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Releasing the top balljoint is easier, then you can tilt the hub assembly towards you which allows more room to get the shaft out.
                  You is d man!! Thanks Bushy that got it in 5 minutes

Now all I have to do is to swap them over on my runner

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X