Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Change Gen 3

Hi All,

Could someone please do me a favour and give me some dummies instructions for draining, flushing and changing coolant? I realise that this is probably very straight forward but this place has gotten me paranoid, removing all sludge, getting out all old stuff and making sure there are no air locks etc.

Also, where is the thermostat and is there a good way of checking it for correct operation and how easy is it to change? Still original to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Ben

The lower rad hose connects to a metal pipe on the drivers side, at the top of that pipe inside is the stat, drain the rad using the drain plug, take out the thermostat and you'll drain most coolant from the block, to flush the system I put the pipe back on without the stat, left the cap off the rad, disconnected the heater hose at the bulkhead and attached a hose, for the rear heater disconnect the two branch pipes that run aft on the drivers side, attach hose and flush through, third, disconnect the top rad hose, attach hosepipe and flush again, I then filled it with water and a chemical flush from the factors and let that do its job, drain it all again, stick a new stat in, put it all back together and refill through the front heater hose on the bulkhead as much as possible. Warm the car up with the rad cap removed and top up if needed. Rd cap back on run it to temperature, let it cool and top up the rad again, have all heaters in the full on position when you do all this.

Get a new stat, you can test the old one as much as you want, it can fail anytime, mine did and fkd the head, 20 quid for peace of mind is a no brainer. Test the stat by putting in a container and pour boiling water on it, it should open, but like I said this only shows you its working this time only, so if you go to the trouble of taking it out, fit a new one. H

PS. my flush system could be seen as over the top, but at least there's nothing in there. H

Comment

If you're not confident enough servicing something as important as the cooling system, I strongly advise you take it to someone who is.

Comment

Cheers Hazzo, very much appreciated. That gives me enough to work on.

Vince, I am confident that with the correct info (which I now believe I have) that I will be able to make a sound enough job of it. I've done a lot of work on Mini's in a past life so reasonably competant with a spanner. Reason for asking is that I'm not sure what hoses etc to take off and where to flush from to make sure I have got it all emptied & cleaned before refilling but I understand and appreciate the comment.

I've used a few garages up here and I've not been 100% happy with any of them so I'd rather take the time and learn to do what is required myself. When I had my heater pipes changed recently the garage that did reckoned that the coolant had been in for a while, it was supposedly changed by another garage only 10 months previously.

Anyone know of a trustworthy garage that speaks Surf in Aberdeenshire?

Ben

Comment

Working...
        X