lift opinions/advice/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lift opinions/advice/help

Hi all. With the new year coming and a big drop in my insurance premium I'm gonna spoil my truck, I'm gonna get 2" lift springs from RT. Is it true that I can just wind up the front torsion bars for the 2" lift!??? I'm only going for 31" tyres so assume this will be enough. Onput appreciated :-) thanks all

As far as I was aware 31s fit without any modifications so you may want to save yourself some cash and just get the tyres...

I've got a RT 2" shocks/springs/torsion bars/brake lines kit to put on over the chrimbo hols as well as a 2" bodylift kit from Xpajun (got brackets for bumper/radiator sorted too) with a view to putting 33s on at some point - probably when the tyres I've got at the mo look like they're beginning to show signs of age.

HTH.

Comment

The main reason for a lift is to replace the rear springs as I hear they are good and strong when under load!! So mainly wondering if its true about the torsion bars being wound up to level it out?? All with stock shocks is what I'm told??? I've read about BJ spacers and wondered if they were a better alternative to the torsion lift, again would prefer stock shocks! The extra height would be great as I do off road/ greenlane a fair bit. Another thing about a 2" lift is I've read to believe that I will NOT have problems with rad and break hoses etc??? As for wheels and tyres I don't think I'll ever get 33's due to affordability :-( so hoping the -25 offset will give the truck a nice wide stance!! You don't happen to know if 15x10 come out much further??? And would there be many problems if I were to match up offset wheels with spacers like too much stress on the hubs etc???

Comment

From experience, and I'm sure others will say the same.
        Lift more than you need, because you will always want to go bigger.
        If you are going to take the truck apart, do it once
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by tomtrux View Post
          The main reason for a lift is to replace the rear springs as I hear they are good and strong when under load!! So mainly wondering if its true about the torsion bars being wound up to level it out?? All with stock shocks is what I'm told??? I've read about BJ spacers and wondered if they were a better alternative to the torsion lift, again would prefer stock shocks! The extra height would be great as I do off road/ greenlane a fair bit. Another thing about a 2" lift is I've read to believe that I will NOT have problems with rad and break hoses etc??? As for wheels and tyres I don't think I'll ever get 33's due to affordability :-( so hoping the -25 offset will give the truck a nice wide stance!! You don't happen to know if 15x10 come out much further??? And would there be many problems if I were to match up offset wheels with spacers like too much stress on the hubs etc???
          From what I've read on here about things the 2" lift springs return things more or less back to where they look like they should be rather than particularly being much of a lift (opinions seem to vary between it making the truck look back to normal and getting rid of the saggy arse syndrome & giving an inch and a half to two inches of lift - so make of that what you will!)

A suspension lift certainly looks slightly less demanding to do than a body lift (like you say, you need to relocate the radiator on the 2.4 & the bumper if you're keeping it) but it shouldn't be that difficult. I'll let you know how it goes with mine in a week or two!

The suspension on my truck is a bit knackered so I decided the best option was to replace the whole lot. Got the torsion bars off ebay (still boxed, etc!) and the other bits came straight from Roughtrax.

You should be ok with standard shocks with what you're planning but I wouldn't worry about getting new tyres unless your old ones need replacing - it just seems like an unnecessary cost to me. You should be fine just winding up the torsion bars according to the FOAK better known as this forum!

There are tons of folks on here who know far more about stuff than me - I've not actually modded my Surf yet and I'm just handing on stuff I've found out by reading around things on the forum...

Hopefully one of the more knowledgable folks will chuck their tuppence worth in at some point.

EDIT: FOAK = Font of all Knowledge (!)

Comment

I have the RT 2" springs on and they are good. Strong under load and have defo lifted it. This is all I have done re a lift, and I have just had (y/day) brand new 33" tyres with 16" x 8" steel rims and it looks incredible. The torsion bars have now been wound up to accommodate the huge tyres, and also level out the truck from the spring lift. I am now going to put 2" coil spacers on to lift the back end up again as I preferred it's stance a little higher at the back.
            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Will definetly be going for the spring kit as like I said I'm more after their strength than lift but a little lift is always nice :-)

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
              I have the RT 2" springs on and they are good. Strong under load and have defo lifted it. This is all I have done re a lift, and I have just had (y/day) brand new 33" tyres with 16" x 8" steel rims and it looks incredible. The torsion bars have now been wound up to accommodate the huge tyres, and also level out the truck from the spring lift. I am now going to put 2" coil spacers on to lift the back end up again as I preferred it's stance a little higher at the back.
              Have you only done the 2" lift and managed to get 33's on there? If so what is the offset on those wheels as I have 16's at the moment! Is there any chance you could upload a pic of your truck with the 33's on?? Its the stance that after on my truck eventually!!! Cheers

Comment

This is ff my phone, have taken loads on camera which I'll upload tomo when I get home. Up in Leeds tonight for girlfs' birthday!

Yeah just the torsions wound up 2" and rear coils 2". We did have to modify arches a bit but nothing major, it feels massive, and the tyres stick out past the arches, looks ace!!

Proper decent pics tomo
                www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

That looks awesome!!! Exactly what I want from my truck!!!! I'm gonna get the 2" lift springs asap! Then when my tyres need replacing I'll go all out and have 33" tyres :-)
                  Could you tell me where you got the wheels and if they have an offset?? Also cost etc. Then I'd suggest you get back to the birthday celebrations or you might get in trouble lol. Cheers fella

Comment

Hahaha! Well she's gettin ready so have "plenty" of time to sit on here!!

Yeah it was Charles at Bardhills Garden Centre just off the A52 going into Nottingham (he has hid garage on the side of it)

Cost for everything, wheels, new chrome nuts, tyres, sprayin hubs black, torsions, arch mods and fitting was £730. He's a top bloke & knows what he's on with. A few of the lads have their trucks looked after by him too.

Tbh I'm not sure about the offset, or even really what it is! Haha. What is it?
                    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Offset is the same as backspacing but measured differently! Your wheels are 8" wide so a 0 offset would mean the measurement from out to in of the lip/rim of the wheel would be 4" if you had say a 25mm offset then that measurement would be 5". Not sure I'. Explaining it right lol

Comment

Sounds frickin complicated to me mate! 
                        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Hahaha! Well she's gettin ready so have "plenty" of time to sit on here!!

Yeah it was Charles at Bardhills Garden Centre just off the A52 going into Nottingham (he has hid garage on the side of it)

Cost for everything, wheels, new chrome nuts, tyres, sprayin hubs black, torsions, arch mods and fitting was £730. He's a top bloke & knows what he's on with. A few of the lads have their trucks looked after by him too.

Tbh I'm not sure about the offset, or even really what it is! Haha. What is it?
                          Good to hear him being recommended cos I've emailed him in the past via fleabay regarding his wheel/tyre combos and was considering buying from him at some point in the future.

Comment

sorry for the thread hijack...where did you get your wheels mate??got a site address for them??

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/280525006467

Those look the same and they're from the same fella...

Comment

Working...
                              X