Sad days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad days

I remember buying my Surf back in 2002 after so many positive comments after I asked about the Surf on this forum.
    Unfortunately, last Friday, I lost control of the vehicle after hitting some black ice on the A3 and hit the central barrier. It looks as if it might be beyond econimical repair (as far as the insurer is concerned).
    Apparently it needs-
    A front panel
    A front bumper
    An offside front wing
    A water bottle
    An offside headlight
    An offside indicator

As it's an import, the repairer will quote import prices (although I believe the parts are the same as a four runner).

If it is written off (will find out tomorrow), I will look into buying the vehicle back from the insurer and arranging the repair myself.

Does anybody know of a good spares supplier where I could get these parts?
    Then of course there is the spray job but the main thing is getting the parts.

Any advice much appreciated, I will miss this car so much if I lose it as I wouldn't be able to replace it. I've had years of trouble free motoring in this girl.

Thanks guys

Ant

The plus side there were no injuries.... I'm sure others will be along shortly (Stormy) to suggest a rescue package, you may be able to buy it back of your insurer and repair it yourself...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Have a look in the for sale section I think somebody is breaking a 3rd gen.

Comment

bummer

the bits you need are all available new at reasonable prices (try rough trax) but im sure you can find most of what you need here second hand. a decent front bumper might be the hard one but i think my new one was £80.
        everything is bolt on so you could do it yourself with a mate and a box of beer on a saturday.
        best of luck

Comment

My 2nd gen was written off last year...I paid the £250 salvage value..Got it fixed curtesy of parts from stormforce...Hunky dory now

Shirl

Comment

Encouraging

Thanks for the encouraging words guys and absolutely Vultch- thank God there were no injuries and nobody else involved, I was travelling with my 10yr old son, but I think I was more shaken than him!

Hopefully my world will still include my Surf. I'll keep you posted.

Ant

Comment

Glad to hear there were no injuries n ya may be surprised at ya Insurance Co's offer .... some good buys around so hopefully you'll have 2 options ...
              Good Luck

Jess
              "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

My mate recently got £2500 for a 94 3.0 auto import.

You might be shopping for a new truck. Glad everyone was ok.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

It's a write off

Well it's definitely a write off, the repairer quoted a repair price of £2500!
                  As suggested by Gary-r I had a look on Roughtrax and the cost of all replecement parts is less than £400 new, so breaker parts would be a lot cheaper, so it all hangs on what the insurers offer me and how much they want for my car.
                  Fingers crossed.

Ant.

Comment

if your not happy with what the insueres offer you, tell them you will accept it as an intrim offer, they will go away and offer you more
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

The insurers would have written ours off following the the other halfs tip over in the ice last year, but with the aid of Stormforces stock of panels & a week of my time, it was back on the road for about £400. Our gen2 (dunno about 3's) was a doddle to work on & it was a real pleasure to step back & look at the truck, having made good the damage. Give it a go, you'll not regret it.

Comment

Update

Hi guys

I was offered £2500 for the car from the insurers and they want £500 for me to buy it back, so minus the excess of £350, I get £1650.
                        New replacement parts from Roughtrax come to less than £400, which leaves me with enough to get a spray job for the wing and a bit left over.
                        Thanks for your help everyone!

Ant.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                          Hi guys

I was offered £2500 for the car from the insurers and they want £500 for me to buy it back, so minus the excess of £350, I get £1650.
                          New replacement parts from Roughtrax come to less than £400, which leaves me with enough to get a spray job for the wing and a bit left over.
                          Thanks for your help everyone!

Ant.
                          The guy behind the Kia Garage in Ash is an excellent sprayer when my 300c needed insurance work he charged £200 compared with a quote of £700 elsewhere.
                          Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
                            The guy behind the Kia Garage in Ash is an excellent sprayer when my 300c needed insurance work he charged £200 compared with a quote of £700 elsewhere.
                            Cheers Smego2, I'll look him up!

Ant.

Comment

Working...
                            X