Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This forum is so depressing!

Why?
    Because I stupidly swapped my 1994 Surf for a 1995 BMW 318ti 2 years ago after the the Surf's injector died...and I've had nothing but trouble since.

The Surf had 189,000km on the clock and apart from a reconditioned injector causing it to struggle at start-up, she was still running beautifully.

But the beemer? After just 55,000km? Rear-view mirror fell off, front suspension almost fell out, rear suspension rattling, both windows fell out of their runners, auto-gear stick stuck(!), fuel pump died, thermostat gave up, boot-lid gas cylinders can't hold boot-lid up any more....I could go on!

And now, Missus Skygod is pregnant...so I'm determined to get ANOTHER Surf!
    It seems to me the ONLY way to go.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
    Simon
    (Brit, living in Japan)
    Had 1994 Surf-want another to replace my crap BMW!

Best vehical I've ever owned, they have their problems like any car, but looked after they run for a very long time and give a good amount of service.

I like Mud me.

peace
    cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Thats just bad luck i had 523i and i had constant problems with it like the engine and gear box ecu corroded and had to replace both. I sold it straight after and bought my 2nd gen 3.0l. But the really stupid thing i had done was sell my 2nd gen 2.4 to buy the beemer i learned a good lesson there!!!

Comment

mine has just clocked up 200.000 km and is an amazing car. do it mate get one quick.
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
          mine has just clocked up 200.000 km and is an amazing car. do it mate get one quick.
          I'm not far behind you on 192000 & still running like a dream.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I'm on my second one... First was a 2.4 auto, was also the first 4x4 I owned too, I thought I'd enjoy a car more so got a golf vr6. Drove it too and from work at 130mph most days for about 2 weeks then one morning tailing an M3 at the usual "cos I could" speed I thought of my kids, took my foot off the gas, pulled up at work and rang a friend who wanted to but the golf and sold it that night. Funny thing was of all the import honda's estate cars, and hot hatches I'd had (12 cars in 7 years of driving) I really wanted my surf back.... One popped up a small distance away at a small price and I snapped it up!!! I've put a solid flywheel in it which was expensive but most work I do myself with a lot of help and advice from this forum!! Life is sweet with a surf. If you miss yours you won't regret it

Comment

wots all this talk about solid flywheels i hear

Comment

I'm on my 3rd 3.0 2nd gen Surf (although selling it very soon)... Had a 2000 BMW 318is & I agree about them falling to bits - always seemed very fragile & poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by greeley View Post
                  wots all this talk about solid flywheels i hear
                  Well you wouldn't want a floppy one would you?!

quick google reveals either DMF's Dual mass fly wheels with springs on the flywheel to absorb torque & vibration whereas a solid flywheel is just that. benefit is unclear.

We wait the learned...

BTW mine's an auto, just wanted to know thats all!
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by skygod44 View Post
                    Why?
                    Because I stupidly swapped my 1994 Surf for a 1995 BMW 318ti 2 years ago after the the Surf's injector died...and I've had nothing but trouble since.

The Surf had 189,000km on the clock and apart from a reconditioned injector causing it to struggle at start-up, she was still running beautifully.

But the beemer? After just 55,000km? Rear-view mirror fell off, front suspension almost fell out, rear suspension rattling, both windows fell out of their runners, auto-gear stick stuck(!), fuel pump died, thermostat gave up, boot-lid gas cylinders can't hold boot-lid up any more....I could go on!

And now, Missus Skygod is pregnant...so I'm determined to get ANOTHER Surf!
                    It seems to me the ONLY way to go.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
                    Simon
                    (Brit, living in Japan)
                    mate my last car was a £55k M3 Vert, and i promise you, i love my £2k Surf equally, if not more!
                    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

On me 2nd Truck now(2.4 for 6n half years) now a 3.0l n after nearly 10 years
                      These Trucks Rock

Jess
                      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

DMF's allow girls to do smooth gearchanges.
                        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

At the beginning of the year I was looking for a 3rd gen (already had a 2nd gen), got distracted and fell in love with a M3 vert...after relieving my hubby of £2500 to fix and add various bits (hard top)..decided I should have waited and bought a 3rd gen..the M3 is as much use as a chocolated fireguard at the moment..Oh well one lives and learns.

Shirl

Comment

Disaster!

Thanks for the comments but today, the worst thing happened....
                            ....found a 2.4 Surf at a local garage, checked EVERYTHING, took it for a test drive, and sat down to work out some figures:
                            The garage dude did the, "Ohhhhhh, if only you'd brought your beemer here last year we could have offered you xxx,xxx yen for it....but now it's worth ZERO!"

I could have erupted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZERO??!?!??!

I'm back home now, and still in a state of shock.

ZERO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?
                            Since when did BMWs become valueless after 45,000 miles?
                            Had 1994 Surf-want another to replace my crap BMW!

Comment

Originally posted by skygod44 View Post
                              Thanks for the comments but today, the worst thing happened....
                              ....found a 2.4 Surf at a local garage, checked EVERYTHING, took it for a test drive, and sat down to work out some figures:
                              The garage dude did the, "Ohhhhhh, if only you'd brought your beemer here last year we could have offered you xxx,xxx yen for it....but now it's worth ZERO!"

I could have erupted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZERO??!?!??!

I'm back home now, and still in a state of shock.

ZERO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?
                              Since when did BMWs become valueless after 45,000 miles?
                              Nah - I'll give you 20 yen for it!
                              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Working...
                              X