Winter holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter holiday

A short while ago I booked a winter break for a week in sunny Sharm el sheikh. Asked around and decided to go to the Hyatt Regency as it has had some good reviews by friends and online. Also booked 4 or 5 days diving to finish the advanced open water and dive at the national parks.

Then,

Last week 4 or 5 shark attacks, one of them the other day AT the Hyatt Regency shore where a woman died. And now there is no water sports or diving etc..
    Typical! Only going there for the diving... It was a toss up between Tenerife or Sharm. Hopefully something changes by this time next week (when we arive).

Otherwise I'll use this excuse to go off roading in the desert!

Got a half decent vid of a White Tip shark earlier in the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?fmt=22&...ywl7hx4&fmt=22

Mums not too keen on going now though :/
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

What a bummer for that woman. Sharks will always be unpredictable and you just never know the minute when you are playing in their back yard.

Hope your holiday works out for you though.

Comment

They'll have it sorted by then, or, take a spear gun with you, you'll still be able to dive, you just won't be getting it as part of a package, when you get back change your monicker to "Sharkbait" H

By the way, as an ex merchant seaman I can tell you, there's sharks in all waters on the planet, big bstards too, so be lucky.
      Last edited by Hazzo; 6 December 2010, 17:31.

Comment

Always dive with a buddy.

(hang a bit of raw meat off their tank)

edit: Are you going with your mum?
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
          What a bummer for that woman. Sharks will always be unpredictable and you just never know the minute when you are playing in their back yard.

Hope your holiday works out for you though.
          A bummer?? She's dead!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
            They'll have it sorted by then, or, take a spear gun with you, you'll still be able to dive, you just won't be getting it as part of a package, when you get back change your monicker to "Sharkbait" H

By the way, as an ex merchant seaman I can tell you, there's sharks in all waters on the planet, big bstards too, so be lucky.
            We're going to take a makeshift tazer.. I've packed the toaster and an extension lead.
            Never booked it as a package as we've sort of made friends over there so will dive with a school and them not far away.

The word is "if a shark comes after you, you must punch it in the nose or eyes so it goes away. If it follows you whilst you are swimming to shore then you need to repeatedly punch it to knock it out so you can get to shore."
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
              A bummer?? She's dead!
              I'd call that a bummer, what would you call it?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                I'd call that a bummer, what would you call it?
                I'd call it a funeral. Not sure what she'd have called it.

Edit, I looked it up: "Beerdigung"
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

duuh dum

duuh dum

dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum DERNERNEERRRRRR

Don't go into the water...

Comment

We're going to take a makeshift tazer.. I've packed the toaster and an extension lead.
                    Never booked it as a package as we've sort of made friends over there so will dive with a school and them not far away.

The word is "if a shark comes after you, you must punch it in the nose or eyes so it goes away. If it follows you whilst you are swimming to shore then you need to repeatedly punch it to knock it out so you can get to shore."
                    yeah right - itll bite yer hand off and eat the rest of you while youre still squealing
                    been shark and barracuda fishing in thailand a few times - i dont swim there anymore - a 6 foot sharks got big teeth and youre in his house.

Comment

According to a radio news report, they haven't banned diving. It's just British tour operators that are not offering the trips as part of their packages.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        According to a radio news report, they haven't banned diving. It's just British tour operators that are not offering the trips as part of their packages.
                        See, this is where all of the information gets skewed and people add their own bit or mis report on what they have been informed of.
                        No water sports, swimming or diving at all. Divers with 50 logged dives are allowed to continue diving. Since I have 6 or 7 logged dives this rules me out. I've heard quite a few different stories about this since last week on Tuesday when we got a text from some people who live there.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....W4RmFCD19AU%3D

When I first heard I pictured some crazy Russians picking a fight with the shark. Turns out they were innocent.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

But how can one tell which reports are correct and which are skewed?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            But how can one tell which reports are correct and which are skewed?
                            Dont listen to The Sun
                            And read the reports from the link I posted above
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

No water sports, swimming or diving at all. Divers with 50 logged dives are allowed to continue diving.
                              You contradict yourself there, diving has not been suspended. Log 44 ghost dives, you'll not be the first to do it.

Dont listen to The Sun
                              And read the reports from the link I posted above
                              Why? What noise does the Sun make and will it hurt my ears?

How do you know those reports in your link are factually correct and that the news report I heard was incorrect?

Comment

Working...
                              X