pendine beach closed......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pendine beach closed......

from 9th july, pendine beach, the longest unbroken stretch of sand in europe is closed to all vehicles including jetskis and wind powered buggys etc. coincidentally (sp?) topgear were hammering sports cars on it a few weeks back, camarthen council have since called in rospa who indicated that there appears to be a chaotic and dangerous mix of beach users from kids on quads to grannies with dogs to toddlers building sandcastles to landspeed record triers to kiters and sandbuggies to fishermen to horse riders etc etc and should someone get injured or killed by topgear-esque driving, then the local council would be liable for corporate manslaughter as a result, the local councillors refused to be re-elected, the county council took over and promptly banned everything, btw the council owns approx 1mile of the beach, the mod own approx 6miles, the mod have no problems with users of it's beach, but the vehicle access is through the councils beach.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Christ, we won't be able to drive on the roads soon as there'll be a chaotic and dangerous mix of road users from kids to grannies with dogs to toddlers to horse riders, boy racers to cylists etc etc....................

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
      Christ, we won't be able to drive on the roads soon ...
      $heeeit now thats somethin to look forward to

Comment

damn, thats a very good point

Comment

Originally posted by stara
          from 9th july, pendine beach, the longest unbroken stretch of sand in europe is closed to all vehicles including jetskis and wind powered buggys etc. coincidentally (sp?) topgear were hammering sports cars on it a few weeks back, camarthen council have since called in rospa who indicated that there appears to be a chaotic and dangerous mix of beach users from kids on quads to grannies with dogs to toddlers building sandcastles to landspeed record triers to kiters and sandbuggies to fishermen to horse riders etc etc and should someone get injured or killed by topgear-esque driving, then the local council would be liable for corporate manslaughter as a result, the local councillors refused to be re-elected, the county council took over and promptly banned everything, btw the council owns approx 1mile of the beach, the mod own approx 6miles, the mod have no problems with users of it's beach, but the vehicle access is through the councils beach.
          Adding voice of reason here. Much as this may be disappointing to people who have been using the beach to race vehicles around, I don't see this as a problem. I am assuming (bad word I know) that despite this being a large stretch of sand, that there are no specific areas for each activity, therefore it is quite possible, and highly likely during some seasons, that a youngster more intent on running to the sea or building a sand castle could quite easily not be expecting a dirty great Surf, or any other vehicle to be hacking up the beach and an unfortunate accident ensuing. However, if there are specific areas for each activity, then that's a different matter.

Personally, despite the fun involved in racing around a beach, I'd rather not be the one that runs down a 4 year old playing in the sand, or a kite surfer who suddenly veers across in front of me. I think the council have got their responsibilities right. The way forward here is to lobby for a section of the beach to be sectioned off for specific activities.

rgds

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
            Adding voice of reason here. Much as this may be disappointing to people who have been using the beach to race vehicles around, I don't see this as a problem. I am assuming (bad word I know) that despite this being a large stretch of sand, that there are no specific areas for each activity, therefore it is quite possible, and highly likely during some seasons, that a youngster more intent on running to the sea or building a sand castle could quite easily not be expecting a dirty great Surf, or any other vehicle to be hacking up the beach and an unfortunate accident ensuing. However, if there are specific areas for each activity, then that's a different matter.

Personally, despite the fun involved in racing around a beach, I'd rather not be the one that runs down a 4 year old playing in the sand, or a kite surfer who suddenly veers across in front of me. I think the council have got their responsibilities right. The way forward here is to lobby for a section of the beach to be sectioned off for specific activities.

rgds

Bryan
            Well said!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by stara
              Nanny State
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
              X