Drill press indexed table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press indexed table

Is there such a thing as a machine vice with an indexed rotating base to fit onto a standard drill press table?

I would find an indexed table really handy, but dont want to change my perfectly good drill press for one with such a table, and figured there might be an obscure vice type device with that option built in.

Perhaps there is indexed drill press tables available separately? I think my drill has a 2" plain column.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

There's this type of thing......
    http://www.drillpressvises.net/cross...se%20CP305.htm

What does your drill press have, a fixed square base?

Comment

It's fixed regarding rotation, yes, but it can be offset WRT the chuck. What you found is absolutely spot on! Just need to find where I can get them from now

Comment

index head

id guess your best bet is a rotary mill table - they come in all sizes and the second hand machine dealers usually have them. you could rig up an index head to work on it or just get the rotary table indexed, you will always be limited to 1 diamater of circle when its clamped to a pillar drill cos your working on 1 axis.. you really need a mill to make full use of them.
        hope that helps - if your going to use it a lot youd be better buying a small mill,with a rotary table on a vertical mill you can make most things youll ever need but its slow.
        cheers - gary.

Comment

cross vice

the cross vice that vince showed you will work but ive used them and they arent really rigid. the ones made in china have crappy slides and chatter like mad.

Comment

I dont think I currently need more than a single diameter at a time. I'm building experimental antennas, and the things I've been building require various numbers of radial threaded holes around a 1.5" aluminium 'puck'.

A mill was on the list, but I ended up spending the money on a big telly - more family friendly. Apparently you cant get X-Factor on a milling machine?

Maybe next year...

Comment

hahahaaaa

if youre just doing circles a small rotary table will work a treat and be accurate as well as rigid. youll find a second hand uk made one for probably about the same as youd pay for a cross vice. i used to have one 15" in diamater and i think i paid £60 for it.

Comment

table link

http://tool.wttool.com/tools/Rotary%20Table
                one of these is what you want - just clamp it to your drill table.

Comment

Malvern show ground 7th Jan classic car and bike show, there's always a guy selling old milling and drilling kit for the restoration guys.

Or one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRECISION-ROTA...item4cf29a1224 how the feck they get them sooo cheap i don't know.....
                  Last edited by Paul1566; 29 November 2010, 15:45.
                  Remember arrows are silent.....................
                  Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Try Axminster tools ? guy at the machine shopsaid they used to stock them
                    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
                      Or one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRECISION-ROTA...item4cf29a1224 how the feck they get them sooo cheap i don't know.....
                      They're made by the same, chained up, 3 year olds that made my telescope.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Must be a damned good telescope to see that far.......
                        Remember arrows are silent.....................
                        Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Better engineers than some of the people I've worked with, those 3 year olds!

Comment

3 year olds

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            Better engineers than some of the people I've worked with, those 3 year olds!
                            can you send me a few - ill supply the orange boxes so they can reach the lathe and mill and let them eat all the rusks they want. means i can stay in bed
                            be great for welding in small spaces too --- do 3 year olds still pee on the floor

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                              can you send me a few - ill supply the orange boxes so they can reach the lathe and mill and let them eat all the rusks they want. means i can stay in bed
                              be great for welding in small spaces too --- do 3 year olds still pee on the floor

Mine doesn't!

Comment

Working...
                              X