Braking issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braking issue

I thought my pads were low which was causing like a vibration/grinding noise when i braked.This was Saturday evening while in 4wd on an icy road.It also happened today aswell.I changed the pads yesterday but the old pads were worn but not down to the indicator.The vibration is coming up threough the pedal.I was wondering if the disc are warped as i did notice one disc was worn more on the outer edge to the inner.Any ideas please so i can order parts today if needed
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

rich mate check the rear drums if fitted as its normally only through the pedal if the drums are oval if it was discs it would come through the steering aswell
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sounds disk related to me. It's unusual to warp disks but if you sit with hot pads clamped to the disk you get pad material transfer onto the disk which results in uneven wear and judder.

Have you had a look at the condition of the other suspension components (ball joints etc)?

Edit: Doh! Forgot the rears were drums.

Comment

Uneven disk wear, possibly a piston sticking?
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
          rich mate check the rear drums if fitted as its normally only through the pedal if the drums are oval if it was discs it would come through the steering aswell
          Originally posted by Chris W View Post
          Sounds disk related to me. It's unusual to warp disks but if you sit with hot pads clamped to the disk you get pad material transfer onto the disk which results in uneven wear and judder.

Have you had a look at the condition of the other suspension components (ball joints etc)?

Edit: Doh! Forgot the rears were drums.
          Cheers guys i will get to have a look at the rears asap.
          I may well order new disc and drums anyway to be on the safe side and fit new rear shoes also.I would rather spend the money just to eliminate the problem so i'm sure

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Uneven disk wear, possibly a piston sticking?
            the pistons seemed ok when pushed back in when the pads were done yesterday

Comment

Er Rich, you have ABS now!

Comment

I noticed my ABS this week too! It's been a long time since I owned a car with ABS
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Bullocks!!!
                  I forgot he had the 3rd gen now! I was thinking he had standard brakes, Oh well that'll teach me to check first and open keyboard second

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Er Rich, you have ABS now!
                    will that vibrate through the pedal though Vince.I thought you would feel something with abs but not like this.Its not all the time though thats the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                      will that vibrate through the pedal though Vince.I thought you would feel something with abs but not like this.Its not all the time though thats the thing.

Yeah, it feels like a hammer drill under your foot.
                      My ABS seems to be very sensitive, sometimes it'll work when braking hard, sometimes not.
                      When I say braking hard, I don't mean like an emergency stop.

Comment

All the cars i've had with ABS have pumped the pedal releasing and re-applying not grinding but TBH i stay clear of ABS as i don't like it myself

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Yeah, it feels like a hammer drill under your foot.
                          My ABS seems to be very sensitive, sometimes it'll work when braking hard, sometimes not.
                          When I say braking hard, I don't mean like an emergency stop.
                          Thats how mine is Vince so i think i will leave it go for the time and see how things are.I may fit new disc anyway as they are a bit worn and uneven anyway

Comment

Thats how mine is Vince so i think i will leave it go for the time and see how things are.I may fit new disc anyway as they are a bit worn and uneven anyway

There's a toothed reluctor ring on the hub that the ABS sensor 'reads'. It might be covered with brake dust or mud/dirt and causing the ABS to play up, so give it a clean all the way 'round with a wire brush before fiting the new discs.

Comment

Cheers Vince i shall do that

Tony what bulb holders is it you required aswell as i ain't got your list anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X