Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen transfer box help please

ok i know i had a post about this before but need some more help please

i have early 3rd gen surf with the 2nd gen transfer box on it, the 4wd is not working. when i select 4wd i can hear a click both engauging and disengauging. however no dash light come on. I put the car on a 2 post ramp today and when in drive with it in 2wd, the front prop was able to turn but could be stopped. i never tried trying to stop it in 4wd incase i damaged something.
    however in drive with 4wd engauged non of the front wheels were turing.

When i had the 2nd gen i remember it had a air vacum pump on the inner wing beside the brake master cyclinder, should mine have that.

basicly if someone on here has a 3rd gen with early transfer box could they check and possibly photograph the engine bay, to see if it shoud be there.

can anyone suggest anything

thanks andrew

can anyone help please?

Comment

Yes, there should be a vacuum supply to the front diff actuator.

Are the two small rubber vac pipes connected properly on the diff?

They go from the diff actuator to two solenoid valves on the inner wing.

Jack the front wheels off the ground, select 4WD and turn the passenger side wheel by hand. If it turns easily then it's a vacuum fault as the collar in the actuator hasn't moved across to lock the splines together on the driveshaft.
      If it's stiff to turn then the actuator has worked and the dash light isn't working.

See here for pictures......
      http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66755

Comment

Thanks Vince
        Just checked the system, in 4wd as you said both wheels turned easily, i found the solenoid vacuum, it's beside the injection pump. I tried various pumps some were blowing, I sucked on the bottom ones and it engaged. Meaning diff and transfer box is ok.
        I plan to replace the vacuum system. Is the system the same for. 2.4 and 3.0 second gens and hopefully that will fit.
        Also could it be the 4wd Ecu as when I sucked on the pipe and engage 4wd the light didn't come on. Although i didnt drive it far. I assume the Ecu is working as obvivously the transfer box is working correctly

Comment

Originally posted by farmerboy4 View Post
          I plan to replace the vacuum system. Is the system the same for. 2.4 and 3.0 second gens and hopefully that will fit.
          The vacuum solonoids maybe the same, thats about it, the mechanical side very different.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Unless the 4wd ECU or wiring has been disturbed, it should be OK, it's only a series of relays in there.

The 4wd light could have blown, it has been known to.
            It's switch on by the sliding collar inside the actuator on the front diff. (White plug on the front) I suppose the contacts in the plug could be dirty or corroded, especially if the diff has been submerged a few times.

Comment

Ok I read the link and the vacuum valve also seems to effect the light so if the vsv isn't working properly then the light won't come on.
              Just to confirm the 4wd is not working at all if I just push the switch It will engauge if I suck in the air line.

Comment

got another vsv valve form a 2.4 surf, fitted and still the same, i have manged to by-pass the vacum by swapping pipes around so at least i can get 4wd when needed.
                need to check ecu next i suppose

Comment

just a update

i had managed to get the 4wd working tempoary by switching the vacum pipes about, and for about a week this worked. untill last nite just as the heavy snow started. its now got nothing, when i click the 4wd button i no longer hear the clickong noise from underneath i usualy heard. theres still suction from the vacuum.

could it be the 4wd ecu, that was only particaly working before and now has totaly packed in?

would the ECU from a 3.0 2nd gen fit and the transfer box is the same?

anyone got one?

Comment

after searching through older threads.

ive read theres a vacum pipe from the rear of the alternator, ive changed both the alternator and turbo on my 3rd gen. i dont realy remember any vacum pipes when fitting it.
                    i cant go and check just now as i had to leave it 3 miles away from home as it couldnt make it

Comment

ok just another wee update.

got the surf home, got the front jacked up and when i swap the pipes over like i was doing its locking the front propshaft, meaning the front diff is ok and the vsv are still working even if not correctly.

i now can defo not hear the click when pushing the 4wd button and with 4wd on, and me turning front wheels which is turning prop, surely its should be connected to rear prop the transfer box.

Could someone please tell me where relay and 4wd ecu are located.

thanks andrew

Comment

Hi Andy
                        Not 100% 0n a 3rd gen ,but on a 2nd the 4wd ECU was located under the stereo behind the centre console. hope this helps

g
                        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Passenger side kick panel.

Comment

I have only ever used the button on the side of the transfer shift lever which puts the vehicle into 4wd, I have never moved that lever yet.
                            It might be worth checking out the No 1 and 2 fuses in the internal fuse box, No 1 20amp 4wd and No 2 15amp Electronics-ig includes shift lock.

Comment

Working...
                            X