Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowwwwww

Help please.

It snowed quite a lot overnight where i am, so with a beaming smile on my face this morning i offered to take the kids to school. Happy days i thought until i got in Daisy and couldn't engage the 4WD. The light on the dash didn't come on and the normal little noises when it engages didn't happen. I ended up stuck behind all the motorised prams going to school in the snow.

Anyone got any ideas how i fettle this problem please? I'm not the most technologically gifted bloke so laymans terms would be handy please. lol.

Forgot to say, Daisy is a 3.0 manual 94 surf. When i click the 4WD button on the gear lever nothing happens.
    Last edited by daisy710; 25 November 2010, 10:42.
    If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

daisy?????
    try keep engageing and disengageing it, might just be where ya dont use it much (if you do use it a lot forget i said owt)
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

First thing to check are the fuses in the box under the bonnet and down by the throttle pedal.
      Does 4WD engage when you shift the transfer lever forwards into L4?

Comment

No it doesn't. I've shifted the selector back and forth trying to see if that helps and it won't engage at all. In either position. I've been searching the forums so now i'm going back out to look for a thin pipe that might not have other pipes attached to them. Lol.

Comment

Checked all the fuses and they're fine, checked as many pipes as i could see and get to and from what i can see they're all ok as well. Nipped up to my local (not so friendly) garage and he grudgingly checked pipes and the transfer box and he has no clue. Then he did the sharp intake of breath thing that mechanics always do and said he had couldn't do anything else and went back to his breakfast lol.

Anyways i'm stuck now. Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Comment

When you press the button on the lever have you tried driving both forwards and backwards? I know on mine sometimes I have to move the Surf for everything to line up and engage and usually when im not accelerating as well. E.g. if I'm driving up a hill, and deselect 4WD I have to then lift off the throttle a little then you hear the clicks and the light on the dash goes.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Aye i've tried that. There is not a sound when i click the 4WD button.

Comment

Has 4WD worked before?
                Have a read here...
                http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ht=troublesome

This is the usual cause for the front diff not to engage.
                Make sure the vacuum pipes are secure on the actuator in the photos.
                Try pressing the 4WD button, engine running, handbrake on and give the actuator a tap using a length of wood and hammer to 'unstick' the sliding collar or rock the truck back and forth. (handbrake off obviously and on level ground!)

It could be the VSVs (brown and blue solenoid valves) next to the fuse box that are faulty too.

Comment

Aye, the 4WD has always worked up till this morning. I'm reading that mod you've done, thanx for the info.

Comment

i had this problem a while ago. i dont know if you are 'suffering' from the same one or not.
                    Mine took ages to sort, no one could figure out what was wrong, in the end i let Toyota have it - and it took them 3 days!

It was the front diff, full of crap, and the contacts had corroded so not making a circuit when the button was pressed. All cleaned up and voila!
                    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X