KZN185 Fuel Fliter Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 Fuel Fliter Removal

Want to change my filter but it is sutck fast. Is there a special tool available from removal? Tried a chain puller but is just starting to gouge the filter without budging it and reluctant to keep going at it with that in case I puncture it and still canot get it off. Also the water tap assembly in thebottom is very tight too, any tips for removing that?

Cheers

Ben

Filter should only be hand tight, I have had to remove them with the mount and then seperate but a chain wrench should do it ease. Not taking the P iss but you are turning it the correct way?
    Brian

Comment

Hi Yoshie,

I've tried turning it anti clockwise but won't shift, tried turing other way too in an attempt to loosen it. Garage that changed it when they did a service tightened the shit out of everything,.
      Chain puller seems to make no headway, was looking at getting some of those filter pliers (they any good?) or, once I work out how to get out the over tightened water trap unit on the bottom, seeing if I can get one of those cap type sockets to take it off. Other thing I have seen is what looks like a large ring spanner that fits over the flutes on the end, can't remember where I saw it though!!

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Hi Ben, Do as Brian said remove the 2 bolts holding the Fuel Primmer housing.. n stick it in a Vice (don't forget to disconnect the water sensor wire)

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        I have had to remove them with the mount and then seperate but a chain wrench should do it ease.
        Good Luck

Jess
        "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Or unclip the cable thingie, take the nuts of the primer mounting, flip it over, re-do the nuts, unscrew the filter PoP...
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yep, Andy's way is easiest. On very tight stuff I use the 3 pronged type of remover. The one that tightens more the harder you turn it. Never fails.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

The first time I changed mine it was super tight till I hammered a chisel through it, came off then. H

Comment

I wouldn't recommend that for 2 reasons. One is safety, sharp edges and all that. The other is that if the vehicle is one's only means of transport and one has bought the wrong replacement filter, one is fcuked...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Yep, Andy's way is easiest. On very tight stuff I use the 3 pronged type of remover. The one that tightens more the harder you turn it. Never fails.
                  This one, very handy to have in the bottom of the drawer.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...per_37871.html
                  Brian

Comment

Nice one Brian ...
                    personally I use one similar to this
                    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...per_77592.html
                    I made one O' these type (Braised socket n mini timing chain)40 years ago n still going strong (also used it portable for changing alternator pulley/s)

Jess
                    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                      Hi Yoshie,

I've tried turning it anti clockwise but won't shift, tried turing other way too in an attempt to loosen it. Garage that changed it when they did a service tightened the shit out of everything,.
                      Chain puller seems to make no headway, was looking at getting some of those filter pliers (they any good?) or, once I work out how to get out the over tightened water trap unit on the bottom, seeing if I can get one of those cap type sockets to take it off. Other thing I have seen is what looks like a large ring spanner that fits over the flutes on the end, can't remember where I saw it though!!

Cheers
                      Ben

Just to confirm - you are turning it clockwise, when viewing it from above? Would definately recommend removing whole filter assembly (head/primerfillter). It only takes ten minutes. Fill the new filter with injector cleaner/mineral hydraulic oil before you screw it on. It'll be a little smokey for a few miles, but it does give the injectors/precombustion chambers a good clean!

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        This one,
                        Yep, thats the daddy.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
                          Just to confirm - you are turning it clockwise, when viewing it from above? Would definately recommend removing whole filter assembly (head/primerfillter). It only takes ten minutes. Fill the new filter with injector cleaner/mineral hydraulic oil before you screw it on. It'll be a little smokey for a few miles, but it does give the injectors/precombustion chambers a good clean!

Hi Dave,

Clockwise when viewed from above!! Tried remoiving whole assembly but could not get a good hold of the head / primer to turn the filter. Not got a vice either. Bought one of those three legged things today so will reomve filter and bolt unit back on upside down and try with that. If that fails I suppose it'll be a garage job.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Is my post invisible? Bolt the thing on to its mountings, but upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              Is my post invisible? Bolt the thing on to its mountings, but upside down.
                              What post?

Comment

Working...
                              X