Cigarrette to USB port for charging things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigarrette to USB port for charging things

Just bought a cheapy Maplins USB port for the Surf. I have a HTC phone, with GPS etc etc (and also the work Blackberry ) and I'm forever being out and batteries dieing. I made sure the port I bought was capable of at least 1Amp.

Basically, as standard, the phone recongnises USB charging and doesnt draw the 800ma as this is over the USB spec, but the socket can handle this as this is still under 1amp. What we've done is short out the middle two pins of the cigarrette USB socket so the phone thinks it's connected to the mains and draws the full 800ma and not the <500ma. What this means is:
    1) The phone battery charges quicker
    2) You can use the Googlemaps navigation, or stream music over Bluetooth or use anything on your phone without the battery going flat even whilst charging.

We ran into problems like "You're phone is using more power than is being delivered by USB" without this mod due to the <500ma max current.

To short the pins, just drop some solder in the middle two pins that are already soldered (in my case) to the PCB. Although they were soldered, they were not connected to any other electrical part, so what this does is just loop this connection back to the phone.

Sorted.

Although I've yet to test with the Blackberry - they are fussy about where they draw power from. Should be okay, but will update if I run into problems.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

I have one for the ipod, works fine
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

When you run sat nav on it does it flatten the battery when it's charging?
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
        When you run sat nav on it does it flatten the battery when it's charging?
        Not that I've noticed.
        Mine's a black one with 4 usb's around the hole.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
        X