No announcement yet.

1KZTE Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read the whole thread...wow...there's some real loviń.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Sick bag required.
      Brian

Comment

wow 7 pages to get to the same point as...

See post 2...

oh, and get a room!

you're both great!(entertainment!)
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

They've both gone rather quiet...

Too busy with 'other things'?
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Fanboys.
            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Sook, Squeeze, Bang, Blaw.

"....young man, are you listening to me?"
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

(Sorry, but this thread was screaming out for someone to lower the tone )
                And there was Apache, all ready...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
                  Ben_D: As a starting point, how much extra HP/Lbft do you feel you would need to make you happy with your Surf? Also, how much money would you be prepared to spend? This info' would allow a more focused discussion.
                  Dave,

I'm not wanting to turn it into a dragster (or steam train) I just want a bit more torque out of it below about 3000RPM. It gets driven to work on back everyday on B roads that are often covered in farm mud etc so there is a lot of slowing down / speeding up and I'm not wanting to drive it too hard. It's more about making the car more driveable in the circumstances that it is most often used
                  I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on it and I'm happy to do most of the work myself.

It would be interesting to see how far one of these engines could be pushed in terms of power, what is it that holds it back? Is it mainly the ECU?

Things I am considering is as already stated, bigger dump pipe and if available / possible exhaust manifold mod to allow turbo to spool up faster. This is me speculating that it could be worthwhile, makes sense but, I know next to bugger all about diesel engines.

Uprated injectors but I'm not sure where I would get these nor what would be involved in fitting them, would ECU need to be played with too?

Will be looking to get an intercooler fitted, probably as a first before playing with anything else.

In terms of additional cooling, has anyone fitted an engine oil cooler to a Gen3 and is there any point?

I have reservations about cranking up the turbo, car does not smoke other than a puff of black smoke on start up when cold.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

LOL, you're driving on muddy crap covered roads and you want more power??

hmm....

A 3.0TD 3rd Gen is no slouch in its class, far from it. I can think of better things to spend the money on.

Maybe you should have bought a V8 X5?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      LOL, you're driving on muddy crap covered roads and you want more power??

hmm....

Not all the time!!, You know the sort of thing, general B roads in Scotland.
                      What's the story with these uprated injectors then?

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                        Not all the time!!, You know the sort of thing, general B roads in Scotland.
                        What's the story with these uprated injectors then?

Cheers

Ben
                        They flow more diesel than stock, for the same pressure with the proper spray pattern.

They were a vast improvment on the old stock ones, truck actually sounds like a proper diesel even on idle. Not all quiet due to rubbish detonation of the fuel mixture like before.

But cos the old ones where knackered, I can't really compare to new stock ones.

They are Diesel Bobs 'veg oil friendly/uprated' injectors.

But basically it all comes back to the same thing with diesels, faster=more fuel, (either increasing O2 with an intercooler, or bunging more diesel in) till the smoke becomes an issue or it blows itself to bits.

My 1KZ-TE runs 14psi @ 2500rpm on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, above and below that its 10psi-ish (with no check light, tested on two different gauges, been like this since it came from Japland)

Then it blew a headgasket, so I fitted uprated injectors, skimmed head, thinest headgasket I could get away with for piston protusion.

And destroyed big ends, a con rod and crank at 80k miles a couple of years ago, but Stevo reground my crank (its slightly to small for the biggest bearing, but we took a chance), found a used set of rods and I put it all back together and its now on 160k miles and running nice.

Its on 4:10 gears and 33" tyres, and struggles to reach 80mph up hills on motorways, everywhere else is fine.

The above is to show, its a big heavy truck, you have to find a lot more horsepower to make a little difference. 10-15 real world hp takes some finding, and it won't make a great deal of difference.

I'd still like to fit an intercooler, I do think these are the best bang for your buck on a Surf.

Think about propane assist (LPG for diesels), its like a mini shot of NoS, but you lose engine braking on overrun, so not so good offroad.

Comment

'morning all...
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

morning
                            Brian

Comment

is it morning already?

Comment

It was when I got up !

Idiot son woke me up at 06:05 - at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that he's working on his 18th birthday ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                                X