Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Stupid Questions

Hi all,

I'm shopping for a used 4x4, and the Surf has caught my eye. So I'm glad to see that there's such a great community of Surf owners around. Unfortunately this site's FAQ doesn't seem to cover my (probably stupid) questions, but hopefully someone can put me right. Here goes:

1. Is the Hilux Surf built to the same "indestructable" standards as the Hilux pickup? (i.e. the one they tried to kill on Top Gear)

2. Is there any model of Hilux Surf with a removable rear roof (to make more of a pickup-style vehicle)?

3. Do the rear seats on the Hilux collapse to get more stuff in the back?

4. I'm looking to spend around £4500-£5000. Is there a particular model or year I should look out for?

Sorry these are so basic - there may even be another FAQ somewhere that could provide answers.

Any advice appreciated!
    Cheers,
    tamper

Originally posted by tamper
    Hi all,

I'm shopping for a used 4x4, and the Surf has caught my eye. So I'm glad to see that there's such a great community of Surf owners around. Unfortunately this site's FAQ doesn't seem to cover my (probably stupid) questions, but hopefully someone can put me right. Here goes:

1. Is the Hilux Surf built to the same "indestructable" standards as the Hilux pickup? (i.e. the one they tried to kill on Top Gear)

2. Is there any model of Hilux Surf with a removable rear roof (to make more of a pickup-style vehicle)?

3. Do the rear seats on the Hilux collapse to get more stuff in the back?

4. I'm looking to spend around £4500-£5000. Is there a particular model or year I should look out for?

Sorry these are so basic - there may even be another FAQ somewhere that could provide answers.

Any advice appreciated!
    Cheers,
    tamper
    Tamper.

1. The Surf is based on the Pickup so basically yes. Some 2.4s have a tendancy to crack cylinder heads but it is by no means all of them. The rest of the mechanicals are pretty much bomb proof.

2. The 1st Generation if you can get one has the removable rear roof. It also has solid axles front and rear apart from the last year which had Independant Front suspension. The Solid front one makes an excellent off roader.

3. The rear seats fold flat and are split 50/50.

4. For 5,500 you will get a 2nd Generation up to about 94 as an early 3 litre. Hower a 3 litre is not likely to be immaculate for that money. You can easily get a 93 2.4 for that money. Anything earlier will be generally be cheaper. If you want the ultimate off road toy go for a solid axle Gen 1 - either Petrol or Diesel.

Cheers

Comment

Great advice Andy -thanks!

Just one question - up to which year/reg would be classed as 1st generation? Are model numbers different between 1st and 2nd gen?

Sorry, that was two questions

Comment

When you fold the seats back the load bay in a surf us HUGE.

It's the biggest load bay in its class, and I measured nearly all of them when I was looking for a new car.

I have had a 6'6 x 4 ft bookcase laying in the back of mine.

I had to put the seats forwards a bit, so I'd say the space is 6x4 without having to mess with the front seats.

With the back seats up then the space is still pretty damn big.

The only other thing that comes close is the Mitsu Shogun Sport, which I think is Mitsu's answer to the surf, they have a very similar shape, although I think the surf is bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by tamper
          Great advice Andy -thanks!

Just one question - up to which year/reg would be classed as 1st generation? Are model numbers different between 1st and 2nd gen?

Sorry, that was two questions
          Up to late 89 is a first Gen. The 2nd Gen are LN 130 and KZN130 and RN130 I think for the Petrol, model numbers and the first gen are something else that I can't remember. 3rd Gen (late 95 onwards) are KZN 185 or RZN 185 (Petrol)

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X