rebuild to ease boredom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuild to ease boredom?

While i accumulate the parts neccesary for a V8 conversion (which will take a while), i thought i might strip and rebuild a 2.4 engine.

Would it be worth doing?

it means i would be able to learn about the engine as i go, since the only engine i have ever stripped and rebuilt was a lawnmower!

or would it be a too steep a step to start with?

i would have the satisfaction of rebuilding a spanking engine from scratch which i could then drop into my daily use surf.
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
    Would it be worth doing?
    Oh yeah, they are sought after, you can tune it to 500BHP while doing it.
    Well worth it.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
      Oh yeah, they are sought after, you can tune it to 500BHP while doing it.
      Well worth it.

this is for me, to build my experience up on the engine and to have an engine in my truck that i have fully rebuilt knowing what has been done to it.

knock a '0' off that number and you will have the BHP that my truck probably is at!

Comment

Personally, If I had a V8 Surf at my disposal, the last thing I would want to do is drive a 2.4 around.

But that's me.

Bin the idea.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Many years ago, I stripped a broken 3S-GTE down, but got bored part way through rebuilding as I no longer had a car to put it into.

Well, I did, but it was upside down in a field in Wales
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Many years ago, I stripped a broken 3S-GTE down, but got bored part way through rebuilding as I no longer had a car to put it into.

Well, I did, but it was upside down in a field in Wales

i may get bored stripping it half way through, but at least ill gain some knowledge in the location and placement of parts. if i get real bored, ill just bin it. its really for getting my hands on a engine that i can break without having to worry about not being able to fix.

Comment

i say go for it...its a great way to learn how to build/dismatle engines...an since you dont particularly need the engine you mite as well

thats how i learnt an iv never had any probs wit any of my track or road cars iv done engine work on.

Comment

I rebuilt a 2.4 Hi-ace engine about 8 years ago.It cost me in excess of a £1000.That was for new pistons,rebore,crank grind,all new gaskets,cam belt,blah blah!!! I did all of the rebuild myself,except the bore and grind!

Moral of the story,check how much it might cost you first!

Regards

Mark

Comment

If you still have the lawn mower engine drop it in... the increase in raw power might necessitate telling your insurance company thou

Back in the day Baby

Comment

The money you spend doing it will be better spent on getting the v8 conversion done.

Comment

v8s are fun

why dont you re-build a v8 - no more difficult than a smelly 2.4 diesel and youll end up with a v8 conversion that you know inside out.
                      just buy a manual and take your time -
                      itll only cost 4 extra pistons and youll have a big smile the first time it goes vroom vroom

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
                        If you still have the lawn mower engine drop it in... the increase in raw power might necessitate telling your insurance company thou
                        whip ontop as a bolt on!

True, i could do a V8 strip and rebuild ready for the Lexsurf. ill contemplate it over dinner tonight.

Comment

I've always wanted to strip something down and rebuild it, lack of space and time has always stopped me tho

I've broken a few cars in the past, bought a cheap car off ebay and stripped it, learnt about it whilst doing it, sodl off the parst and scrapped what didnt sell - it was an uneconomical MOT fail so thought why not - enjoyed myself in taking it apart and made a few quid whilst at it..

never got round to building anything tho, but would love to have the knowledge to start, plus space (and time) to do it

Comment

Originally posted by lawsy View Post
                            I've always wanted to strip something down and rebuild it, lack of space and time has always stopped me tho

I've broken a few cars in the past, bought a cheap car off ebay and stripped it, learnt about it whilst doing it, sodl off the parst and scrapped what didnt sell - it was an uneconomical MOT fail so thought why not - enjoyed myself in taking it apart and made a few quid whilst at it..

never got round to building anything tho, but would love to have the knowledge to start, plus space (and time) to do it
                            time isnt too much of a problem, space is a little problem but im trying to get round that.

Comment

Working...
                            X