WVO Filter Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVO Filter Questions

I'm about to buy a couple of WVO filters from eBay, but there seem to be 2 types. One type has a clear bowl, the other a blueish bowl, do I need the blueish one or is the clear one OK?

Also, should I filter in 3 stages (10, 5 & 1) or just 2?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

i just drink my beer straight out of the can

Comment

I used clear ones. The stuff's still setup in my garage showing no signs of degradation. I filtered in 2 stages, 10 and 1 micron. Worked fine. Never had any cack in my fuel filter.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        I used clear ones. The stuff's still setup in my garage showing no signs of degradation. I filtered in 2 stages, 10 and 1 micron. Worked fine. Never had any cack in my fuel filter.
        If you're not going to use it any more, fancy sticking it in a box and sending it up here? I'll swap you some of my PayPal funds for it...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          I'm about to buy a couple of WVO filters from eBay, but there seem to be 2 types. One type has a clear bowl, the other a blueish bowl, do I need the blueish one or is the clear one OK?

Andy, can you put a link to the filter site please.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Yep, give me a minute.

Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-WATER-FILTE...item19bace1f00

I'd bin those tails though, too restrictive.
            Last edited by Albannach; 12 November 2010, 21:42.

Comment

Yep, give me a minute.

Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-WATER-FILTE...item19bace1f00

I'd bin those tails though, too restrictive.
              Cheers, have you got a plan of how your going to do it or will you just make it up as you go along.

Looked at how a few of the others on here are doing it but still not sure of the best way to go about it.

I've got nearly 600 litres in the cellar & am running out of space so really need to start using it.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Hello Andy. If this is any help, the method I use is to pour my raw wvo through two identical sieves with some old bed linen sandwiched inbetween. this pours through into a 1 micron sock filter. (loads available on eflog). I then I leave whats been filtered to stand, and seprate, then syphon 75% off the top. I re filter this through another 1 micron sock filter, mix with 10% petrol, and mix witth the 50% bio I already put into the tank.....Cheers Mick.
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I've not decided exactly what to do yet, but it'll be as labour simple as possible!

Rough filter into a container, run from that container through the filters to a settling container, then use the top whatever % looks OK.

Not really thought any further than that, for now, 2 or 3 filters will do me fine!

Comment

I take it ya read my Post (61) n seen my pics Andy ...
                    Simple, neat, tidy n labour saving

Jess
                    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

I buy my filters from the same bloke, he is on vegetable oil forum that I frequent.
                      The clear ones don't last a lot with bio, I think the methanol that may be present in bio makes them go brittle after a year and then crack. Blue ones are fine.

For veg oil the clear ones are fine, buy the ones with the tails already fitted as the mail iron fittings cost me almosta fiver from my local trade counter.

For basic filtering get a big drum (55 galon should be plenty) then some bed sheets and pour your settled oil (settle in the cubies that they come in) through the sheets into your drum. Leave for a week and drain from the bottom if you can by putting a lever ball valve.
                      If you can fit a 3kw immersion heater and heat for about 2-3 hours, a central heating pump is good for moving the oil slowly about. Any free water should drop to the bottom.
                      Drain till you see clear oil and then pump through your filters 2 housings should be fine if you have dewatered properly, 5 and a 1 micron.
                      Another tip is to wrap the filter elements in jay cloths, that way they will last longer.

The most important bit is to filter your oil at the tempreture you intend to use it in. that way no solids will get through.
                      When really cold add 5-10% petrol this will keep it liquid until about -10.
                      Also usefull is HPT (hot pan test).

more info here
                      Hope that helps
                      Last edited by kamaangir; 13 November 2010, 18:54. Reason: link
                      l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Working...
                      X