Shortest period of surf ownership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortest period of surf ownership?

Bought the 3.0l 2nd Gen last friday as some of you may know.

Rad cap was leaking (o-rings were a bit dry and hard). So it was loosing a bit of water and getting air locks as a result.

Bought new rad cap and stat.

Fitted new cap, drained system. Hmm, that's strange, the stat has had its centre removed.

Fitted new stat, loads of new coolant, recharged arcon (now ice cold). Took it for a drive and woof, red hot and climbing, gassing in the expansion bottle et al.

Returned the surf today for a full refund.

Is it worth mentioning the reg number and the place where it's being sold from as the guy is gonna put some additive in to "fix" the head/gasket. We don't want anyone else buying this POS.

Hell yes...reg number, model, dealer name...because as sure as eggs is eggs, he knew that it was a lemon when he sold it to you.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
      Hell yes...reg number, model, dealer name...because as sure as eggs is eggs, he knew that it was a lemon when he sold it to you.
      Where do you want it posted? In the "Surfs for Sale"? It can then be mad a warning sticky maybe (Along the lines of "DO NOT BUY THIS SURF!")?
      Last edited by Animal Mother; 7 November 2010, 16:05.

Comment

I wouldn't want to BUT that surf either.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
          I wouldn't want to BUT that surf either.
          Eh?

Comment

A subtle hint, vehicle description and a rough geographical area would be good

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
              A subtle hint, vehicle description and a rough geographical area would be good
              I will as soon as I know where people want it posted.

Comment

i hate dodgy dealers,sell a few cars myself and would never sell something dodgy,name and shame the arseole.gives the good ones a bad name people like that.

Comment

Stick it on this post

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
                    Stick it on this post
                    I will but I doubt it'll get seen by anyone looking for a car (who might end up buying it).

Anyway, the details are:

1995 Hilux Surf in Green over silver.

3.0l diesel auto.

VRN: N623 ACP

Seller: Located somewhere in shropshire

He happily gave me my money back and was genuinely surprised by the fact that it was a lemon. He had taken it in part X 3 days before I bought it. They guy who part X'd it had done the "modification" to the thermostat as it had been in there a while.

I'm not saying he is completely innocent in this, just that he may not be a dodgy seller.
                    Last edited by Koi; 9 November 2010, 17:37.

Comment

Im missing something here. The Surf was driving around fine with no overheating or any signs of the head being gone until you fitted a thermostat and a new rad cap. Now its overheated , and the head has gone ?
                      Surely if the head was gone when you bought it, you would have had the symptoms regardless of whether or not it had a stat ?
                      Are we thinking that because the rad cap leaked that you were not experiencing the overpressure ? What about the overheating ? Surely that would have shown itself regardless? Im going to asume that the new stat is OK and is fitted correctly, and that the system had no airlocks. So just what am I not understanding ??. Are we saying that the head was gone when you bought the truck and was all being masked by the fact that no stat was fitted? Of course suggesting that some "magic from a bottle" will be chucked in before selling again isnt exactly endearing practice.

Bogus
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                        Im missing something here. The Surf was driving around fine with no overheating or any signs of the head being gone until you fitted a thermostat and a new rad cap. Now its overheated , and the head has gone ?
                        Surely if the head was gone when you bought it, you would have had the symptoms regardless of whether or not it had a stat ?
                        Are we thinking that because the rad cap leaked that you were not experiencing the overpressure ? What about the overheating ? Surely that would have shown itself regardless? Im going to asume that the new stat is OK and is fitted correctly, and that the system had no airlocks. So just what am I not understanding ??. Are we saying that the head was gone when you bought the truck and was all being masked by the fact that no stat was fitted? Of course suggesting that some "magic from a bottle" will be chucked in before selling again isnt exactly endearing practice.

Bogus
                        The leaking rad cap masked the effect of the coolant being pressurised. A leaky rad cap will leak whether the head/gasket had gone.

It showed signs of overheating after I bought it but before I "fixed" it due to loss of coolant (via faulty rad cap) and/or sticky thermostat.

Removing the stat would allow the car to run cooler reducing the impact of the coolant loss, which I thought was due to the dodgy rad cap.

Put on a new rad cap, new stat (which was working fine) and the coolant system is now being pressurised by the dodgy head/gasket. The symptoms of which now can't be disguised by the lack of stat or leaky rad cap.

Comment

Koi.....

I think we should leave the Reg up in case truck reappears, but delete the dealer, we have no proof he stitched him up.

If anything the opposite, lots of people have been fobbed off.

What you think?
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Mother View Post
                            Eh?
                            Sneaky, you know what you did.
                            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                              Koi.....

I think we should leave the Reg up in case truck reappears, but delete the dealer, we have no proof he stitched him up.

If anything the opposite, lots of people have been fobbed off.

What you think?
                              Agreed, post edited and moved back to general section
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X