I have posted this in tech as well but I' desperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have posted this in tech as well but I' desperate

My 2.4 1993 surf is running hot the coolant bottle is boiling but my temp gauge in the car says normal ie in the middle of cold/hot.
    The fan is on constantly you can hear it when sitting in traffic.

Please help does that mean the head has gone or is just the rad cap needs replacing or an air lock.

Sorry I'm just a girl getting into the mechanical side of things still very new at all this
    http://community.webshots.com/user/cassie08100

remove the thermostat to test if this is not the cause also rad cap its worthwhile as its a cheaper way to diagnose what the problem is.
    ensure engine is cool as hot water burns
    also wheres the BERKSHIRE MASSIVE as they can help iff need be
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Could be a loss of pressure in the cooling system as the temperature guage is normal at close to boiling point, a loss of pressure would allow the water to boil up at 100C whereas under pressure it wont boil. Dodgy filler cap???
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        ensure engine is cool as hot water burns

I might be a girl but I'm not thick Sorry pms butting in there

Thanks for the advice the rad cap is rusty so I shall replace that first (cheapest option).
        I dont think its the thermostat as the temp gauge goes up and stays in the same place it just seems to boil in the overflow coolant tank.But hey what do I know!!!try the thermo next any friendly garages out there???

Next stop Milners to see how much a rad cap is

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel

Thanks for the advice the rad cap is rusty so I shall replace that first (cheapest option).
          I dont think its the thermostat as the temp gauge goes up and stays in the same place it just seems to boil in the overflow coolant tank.But hey what do I know!!!try the thermo next any friendly garages out there???

SOME PEOPLE ARE & ACCIDENTS HAPPEN !!! Just ensuring against Liability
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            SOME PEOPLE ARE & ACCIDENTS HAPPEN !!! Just ensuring against Liability
            No probs I wouldnt blame you for my stupidity

I'm glad it not the head (yet) but after reading the other posts re :-overheating its hard not to worry/panic.
            My OH has gone fishing this weekend and I cant get hold of him. Typical.
            He does most of the servicing on my car and hes not even allowed to drive it!!(could get cheap enough ins with him on)Although I am getting better at getting my hands dirty..

Comment

if you do as other surf owners have recomended fingers crossed you might be ok. I had those same symptoms & the thermostat had jammed.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Thanks for your help
                I have replaced the rad cap and hey presto no more boiling the old cap was very rusty.
                It should be going to the garage over the weekend to pressure test the head just to make sure.(finger crossed)
                Got the rad cap and filter kit off milners GOD they are quick!!
                Thanks again

Comment

Glad we could help
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

When your about flush the whole system out,mine was thick with c**p when I blew the top off my rad.
                    CURRY-ER

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel

Bit of info :- The thermostat controls the water flow through the engine block, head and internal heater etc, allowing water to enter the engine when it reaches running temp to keep the temp constant, but the temp gauge is a sensor reading block temperature only and is not connected to the thermostat. Any drop in pressure in the coolant system (i.e. from a leaky rad cap) lowers the boiling point of the coolant reducing the amount of fluid in the system and therefore allowing heat to increase above normal. It is this extra heat that causes a problem cracking cylinder heads, not just the gaskets failing. As soon as any rise in temp is shown on the dash temp gauge, switch off and investigate. A blown head gasket may not always require a head repair if caught early enough.

Fish
                      If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Working...
                      X