Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please

Hello all,
    I'm Mark O'Connor. I live in Cambridgeshire in a village and I'm thinking about getting a Hilux, either a Surf or a pick up truck to use as a second vehicle.
    I owed a mark 3 (1997) hilux pick up for a while did alot with it bed liner bumpers body n engine repair etc sadly I don't have it anymore but ow I think the time is right to replace it, I just need your help to decide what to get.
    I'll use the Hilux pick up or Surf for a little DIY trips to the tip if I'm honest I don't see me off roading much but I would use the truck in bad weather ice n snow etc. I'd also like a lil comfort if I'm bringing windsurfing gear around sequrity would be good too.
    From reading posts here I think the 3 litre diesel is the way forward as opposed to the 2.4 litre. I'd like a manual transmission or is an automatic OK. I'm I'd like to get a second or 3rd generation surf or mark 3 or 4 pick-up but the trucks certainly aren't the quietest or most comfortable things on a long journey. Are surfs better in this regard?
    Also do surfs have the manually locking front hubs or not.
    I'm happy to buy one that requires a little cosmetic work but I don't have a garage just a fairly big driveway, my budget is between 2.5 and 3K am I wasting my time or can I pick up a decent example for that kind of cash. I would just really need my surf/pick-up to be mechanically sound.
    If you can advise me on what is the best way to proceed I'd be greatfull any advice will be most welcome.
    Many thanks,
    Mark

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

£3875 but you could haggle a bit I suppose, 2.5k to 3K could get you a 3gen, £3500 to £4500 would get you a clean shiny example. But if your not too fused on the condition, they do come up a bit cheaper.

I spent ages looking for a manual one as I was not keen on the idea of an auto. In the end I could only find an auto that I liked so I got it. I now prefer auto to manual

Most 3gens have electronically selectable 2wd/4wd and lockable center diff / limited slip differential.

Basically stick a decent set of tires on them and they will go most places ;-)

They are quiet and comfortable, but be warned, you WILL become attached to it

Good luck finding one, ask on here for info and have a look at the search button as most things have been discussed.

Comfort wise, nothing I have driven comes close! they are great for long drives, thirsty, but very comfortable
    Last edited by mckirdy-services; 3 November 2010, 21:07.
    If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

welcome dude
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

3k gets you my clean example 3rd gen, and it's the RARE mannual version
        Brian

Comment

Hello: wave: you'll get a nice 2nd gen for that (with change) or possibly a 3rd gen - Take your time look around
          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

There's a nice 2nd gen in the for sale section. Auto though.

Comment

...and they're ALL noisy compared to the 2.7 petrol 3rd gen
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thankyou all for the warm welcome and for your 2 cents. I guess having had a mark 3 pick up before the 2nd generation diesel appeals to me the 3rd generations looks really well but a little too land crusiery if you don't mind me saying.
                Sad to say but I think I'll betray my dream of another truck and I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nice surf.
                Once again thnkyou all so much for all your help, advice, and the warm welcome.
                Bye for now,
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  ...and they're ALL noisy compared to the 2.7 petrol 3rd gen
                  Dunno about that...mines petrol and it loosens peoples bowels, it's so loud.
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post
                    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

£3875 but you could haggle a bit I suppose, 2.5k to 3K could get you a 3gen, £3500 to £4500 would get you a clean shiny example. But if your not too fused on the condition, they do come up a bit cheaper.

I spent ages looking for a manual one as I was not keen on the idea of an auto. In the end I could only find an auto that I liked so I got it. I now prefer auto to manual

Most 3gens have electronically selectable 2wd/4wd and lockable center diff / limited slip differential.

Basically stick a decent set of tires on them and they will go most places ;-)

They are quiet and comfortable, but be warned, you WILL become attached to it

Good luck finding one, ask on here for info and have a look at the search button as most things have been discussed.

Comfort wise, nothing I have driven comes close! they are great for long drives, thirsty, but very comfortable

ditto on these points.

i also preferred manuals but since having this auto surf i have changed my mind.

an auto surf is a great relaxing drive!
                    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

We just picked up a 3 ltr for a silly price,needs a little bit of a hug as opposed to a lot of love.Just hang out for the right vehical in your price range.
                      And welcome to driving the worlds most comfy car that does it all.
                      michelle..x
                      so long and thanks for all the mud

Comment

Working...
                      X