Overland - Cardiff to Cape Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overland - Cardiff to Cape Town

The writer was a policeman in the former Rhodesian Police Force better known as the British South Africa Police or BSAP. Rhodesia is now Zimbabwe. Story as follows;

The year 2010 has proved to be a significant milestone in my life. Not only reaching 65 years of age and finally going on pension, I achieved a lifelong ambition of traveling overland through Africa. Two years of planning finally came to fruition when my two mates, Jim, Bob and I shipped the Toyota Land cruiser (4x4) Diesel over to the UK. Jim had done extensive work on the this vehicle, kitting it out for the overland trip with a fridge, freezer, large capacity fuel and water tanks and many spares . Before going any further I must commend this vehicle for taking us many kilometers over some of the harshest conditions without any problems whatsoever. We pulled a number of other vehicles out of trouble along the way, including land rovers and even a bus.
    On 7th March, 2010 we departed from Cardiff in Wales and crossed the channel from Dover to Dunkirk. We traveled through France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Syria and Jordan before crossing into Africa. Bob abandoned the trip in Turkey leaving Jim & I to continue alone.
    We crossed in to Egypt on the 26th March, via the Al Aqabah ferry. We encountered the Egyptian 'Tourist' Police with whom we had to clear our vehicle. After spending a frustrating the day with them and paying US100.00 in bribes we eventually got on our way. We later camped close to the Giza Pyramids where we spent a week waiting for Visas to continue into Africa. I must say that throughout Africa, apart from Sudan, we were well received by Customs and Immigration as soon as they saw our South African Passports.
    After crossing in to Sudan via the ferry on Lake Aswan, we had to wait 3 days for the vehicle to arrive on a different ferry. Sudan was probably the 'lowlight' of the trip which is a very poor country and they are suspicious of everybody.. We stayed in a hotel which was more like a prison, where we were photographed and fingerprinted. One night we were camped on the side of the road with no other facilities available and were awoken in the middle of the night by AK wielding soldiers. When they established that we were not the enemy, we were instructed to move on immediately. That was the only incident throughout Africa when we really felt threatened. We were definitely not welcome in Sudan and we moved on as soon as possible. Ethiopia was a pleasure where we found our first pub in Africa. The Ethiopians were very friendly and hospitable. A great deal of Chinese development in evidence. We crossed into Northern Kenya where we encountered the worst road conditions so far.
    After camping for 3 nights on the banks of Lake Victoria we went through the Serengeti and later passed Ngorogoro. Words cannot describe the beauty of the Serengeti . Kenya & Tanzania were magnificent. Malawi was great – where we camped on the banks of Lake Malawi. We stayed a number of days in Malawi where we unwound and relaxed – plenty of beers and fresh fish.
    After Malawi we made our way to the South Luangwa National Park in Zambia, where we stayed at the famous 'Flat Dog Camp. Excellent facilities there. Lots of game and well worth a visit for those venturing a little further than Zimbabwe. Strangely enough fuel in Zambia was the most expensive in Africa. Crossing into Zimbabwe at Chirundu proved no problem after I had used my best Shona at the border post. We camped at the famous Mana Pools, and after having heard bad reports about Mana, we were surprisingly impressed. The camp site was clean and the facilities good. The authorities have apparently made a concerted effort to clean it up. The resident buffaloes are still there which you have to take care not to walk into in the middle of the night.
    From Mana to Karoi (give the Twin River Inn a miss- dreaful) and overland to Milibizi. We had excellent accommodation at Milibizi consisting of a very comfortable bungalow which slept six, and including breakfast. Plenty of Zambezi Largers consumed there US$1.00 a beer (not bad at the current rate of exchange.) We entered Botswana via Panamatenga and spent time in the magnificent Chobe before crossing in to Namibia. After a short stay in Swakopmund we crossed in to the Kgalagadi through Sosselvlei. On the 2nd June, 2010, we arrived back in Cape Town after being on the road for four months and travelling 29000 kilometers. For those who are interested in doing a similar trip – I can recommend it highly. The total cost excluding air flights and shipping of vehicle R45 000.00 (well inside budget).

In sterling that is less than £4500! A flat dog is a crocodile.

reading that makes me want to do a similar trip
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

All of the group were over 65 years of age! I knew the writer vaguely during my time in the BSAP in Rhodesia.

Comment

Howzit
        Just scoping around for something to read and found this thread...4500 GBP is ###### good going! The poster who said he was in the BSAP...where were you stationed?
        Last edited by bundubasher; 14 May 2011, 15:59.
        @africa4x4cafe
        [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

There is a couple near me that have a fantastic LC80 series that is all kitted out, they too drove to south africa, sounds like the trip of a lifetime!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
            reading that makes me want to do a similar trip
            We did Last weekend. Went to Jotto Jon's the new sat nav took us on some weird route as we got nearer Jotto's
            Enjoying Life after Cancer
            Pops

Comment

Makes me want to do a trip...... Hang on i am next year...
              .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rally Micra View Post
                Makes me want to do a trip...... Hang on i am next year...
                You're not popping over to China to bring back a load of snorkels, are you Kev?
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                  Howzit
                  Just scoping around for something to read and found this thread...4500 GBP is ###### good going! The poster who said he was in the BSAP...where were you stationed?
                  I was stationed in Babbazonke from '68 though to '71.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                    You're not popping over to China to bring back a load of snorkels, are you Kev?
                    Yeah..I wish...feel like driving to Spain at least and bringing them back...a bit nearer than malaysa.
                    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X