Costs a fortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs a fortune

Ive got a 2.4 auto surf and have only had it for 4 months (Year 1992). Ive just had to have a new cylinder head fitted - at a cost of 1,375 quid, thanks to 3 big cracks! If anyone else wants to take any more money from me - I am now also looking for a second hand gear box as mine will only go in reverse when it feels like it!!! Considering that these vehicles are supposed to be 'bomb proof', I am interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems and if anyone can offer me some advice?

Picking up a 2.4 TD on Monday now getting grief from the missus, heads failing now gearboxes says should have bought a Pajero !!!!!
    Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Why on earth would you want a Pajero - do you really need a slow lorry ?????
      Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Wife says slows better than stopped and costing a fortune, women eh ?
        Basically head either going to go or has gone, got 24 month warranty on it will double check it covers the head. Can't wait.....

Comment

Jon

Really a thread for the Mech section , but what the heck .

Firstly is it auto or manual ? Your vehicle details are not shown
          Fault will differ from manual or auto

Rick
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Done the mech section started to get depressed so thought look what you can get up to with these beasts, looks fun. By the way its an Auto.

Steve

Comment

They are tough, we have a 1984 4Runner with 220,000km's on it, a 1981 Toy pickup that gets beaten to s**t off road, with the drive train getting abused by a Rover V8 motor for the last 5 years, a 1994 3.0lt TD surf with 80,000miles, a 1989 2.4 with 90k plus, (yes it has a cracked head, but only cos it overheaded due to lack of water)

My ex has a 3.0 V6 4runner with 116,000 miles and is mint and runs great.

So I'm perfectly happy with them.

This is how the 2.4 cracked head issue goes......Around 89-90, Toyota discovered the new 'envirometally friendy' headgasket wasn't up to the extra pressure of a turbo, so the headgasket goes, which in itself is no big problem. But then it was discovered that when the 2.4 head overheats, because of the design of the head, it invariably cracks. So you need a new head.

This issue also affect I6 Supra's from the same era, and the V6 petrol motor, but the heads are different, and don't crack so easy if they get hot so you just need a headgasket.

Favorite theory is that the Jap owners don't bother with the headgasket recall, when a head blows, its cheaper to toss a bottle of crack sealant in the motor, and sell it to the nearest exporter and send it off round the world.

Go and hang around on a few other forum, Pajaros frequently blow heads, and early ones have a very weak gearbox, plus can't hold a candle to the Surfs looks.

Better still, own a Land Rover for a few years! at least Toyota know how to wire a car up!!!

None of this helps anyone who has already bought a car with a stuffed head, but they are great cars, work great offroad and on the highway.

Remember, you are buying a 12 year old car with no history, and just have fun with it. Most of the Surfs are sound machines, but as usual, no one hears about the good ones as they are quietly doing their job.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I may not be the one with enough time in a Surf to sing its praises, but here goes. Used every day damn near at an average of 2200 miles a month, and it is loaded to the gills, so much weight that its bottomed out on the suspension and so had to stick some extra load in the trailer behind on more than one occasion, multiple ladders on the roof and it has never even slowed down. Anyone trying to keep up when I'm in a rush to/from working will vouch that this machine has never been tret with kid gloves, or for that matter when off road on the moor romps. I'm not stupid and out to break it but I know I push it that bit far. Yes this is a tough beast, and no I would'nt think I could do half of what I do, if I was useing the discovery that the missus owns or the musso I had befor this.

And ten months on and still got the grin!!!

Fish
                If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

I've got an '89, so one of the oldest (chassis number in the early 5000's!) and so far:
                  cost me £3500
                  new clutch £400
                  new head (probably) £1200

so total : £5100

would I have bought a Pajero or something else with that amount of money if I'd known? could have got a much newer model than an '89...

No. I'll stick with my surf thanks.

Search around the web for another community as strong as the Surfs, that should tell you something.

And don't go too hard on the wife's objections - she's just doing what any female does when threatened by another beautiful lady!

Comment

Originally posted by jon
                    Ive got a 2.4 auto surf and have only had it for 4 months (Year 1992). Ive just had to have a new cylinder head fitted - at a cost of 1,375 quid, thanks to 3 big cracks! If anyone else wants to take any more money from me - I am now also looking for a second hand gear box as mine will only go in reverse when it feels like it!!! Considering that these vehicles are supposed to be 'bomb proof', I am interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems and if anyone can offer me some advice?

Auto box, I assume its been diagnosed as a duff box or you just opted for a second hand one without finding the fault first?????
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Remember, you are buying a 12 year old car with no history, and just have fun with it. Most of the Surfs are sound machines, but as usual, no one hears about the good ones as they are quietly doing their job.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jon.

Iv'e had my 1989 1st gen for over 5 years and she is still as sweet as when I got her. All Iv'e replaced are the rear springs and a set of shocks,had a new clutch and a turbo actuater.
                      Oh yeah and she has had lots of offroad abuse and covered the country in that time. (ALL I NEED NOW IS A SET OF MANUAL LOCKING HUBS)

sumo.
                      If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Working...
                      X