No announcement yet.

White Smoke on startup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think my worry has been for nothing...

it was just the tranny knocking back a gear when i plant my foot.
    if i give it enough power to hold in that gear then it spools up nicely without dropping a gear.

auto's have my confused
    4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      I always thought a torque converter actually was effectively a slipping clutch, matching engine torque to demand. Therefore there is always some slip, until you reach lock up, which on a Surf only happens in top gear. It certainly doesn't 'lock up immediately'.

Excessive 'slip' probably indicates knackered fluid.
      can you get slip if you over fill an autobox?
      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
        can you get slip if you over fill an autobox?
        Yes, could blow a seal or two as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris QTown View Post
          i think my worry has been for nothing...

it was just the tranny knocking back a gear when i plant my foot.
          if i give it enough power to hold in that gear then it spools up nicely without dropping a gear.

auto's have my confused
          It's known as kickdown.
          If you press the pedal slowly, the trans will stay in the same gear . If you stomp your foot down, the kick down cable will activate the solenoids and change down a gear or two depending of road speed.

Actually there's more to it than that, but that should give you some idea.

Comment

Thanks Bushy!

Yeah i remembered one of my first cars doing that but as i said its been a while since i drove an auto!

now i just have to find: an electric sunroof switch and button connection (i have no idea why this wasnt in the truck i just bought)

also i have this electrical problem - the a/c, electric mirrors and cigarette lighter dont work.

all the leads are plugged in and as far as the diagram shows the elec mirrors run from the head unit (which works fine) - a green and red cable which i can not locate to save my life is supposed to be back there.

i see it from the mirrors but not behind the dash.
            4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Working...
            X