yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Smoke on startup?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Andy Pandy
    replied
    Got a 2.4 auto no lack of power for 2 tonne plus truck since a few cheap mods done and off road found no probs with auto!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mark7081
    replied
    Mine does start with a big cloud of white smoke the first time I start it but every other start of the day (be it 10 minutes or 3 hours later) is always fine.

    Might check the glow plugs if they are to blame, but the butt plugs seem fine

    Mine is also an auto, and plenty of power for me (the Surf, not the Butt Plug!)

    Leave a comment:


  • JD_975
    replied
    I'm going to forego the fact that you revived a two year old thread with poo advice on engine and transmission choice to simply say....

    My 3.0td auto starts and drives fine, it's pretty handy off road too

    Leave a comment:


  • yoshie
    replied
    Two small points the post you are replying to is 2yrs old.
    Secondly to say a mannual is way better than an auto for an off road truck is nonsense.






    I know I said 2 however "power" should never be used as a descriptor for a two ton 2.4ltr truck.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris QTown
    replied
    Brilliant !!

    Originally posted by farmer View Post
    I've got a 1990 2.4 L surf, and on startup, especially when its colder out, it will start really rough, as if it is missing on one or more cylinders, and a lot of white smoke comes out. Goes away and runs perfect once it warms up.

    The smoke is vaporized diesel, the head gasket is fine (it was replaced in may before I bought it, plus you can actually smell the diesel if you stand in the cloud. I've dealt with diesel heating stoves, its the same gas you get before they blow up in your face lol). I tried searching, and found one very old thread on this but no definitive answer. Is this normal? I wasn't sure if it was altitude or temp related, as I didn't notice it when it was 20*C this summer at sea level, but its happening now at <5*C at 6000' elev.
    I have a 1991 2.4l turbo diesel automatic (sucks) now in Australia as opposed to the 89 turbo diesel manual that i had in New Zealand (awesome).

    Anyway... the EXACT same symptoms happened to me from the rough start to blowing white smoke, then once it warms up its A-OK - and i just shit bricks thinking i have to get the HGasket done.
    I only bought the truck 2 days ago and on the way home i got a puncture thanks to a fat screw left on the road.

    Mine is a Jap import too so i will try warming the glow plugs before starting.
    I wondered why this version beeps at me like crazy when the accessories are left on for only a minute - maybe thats an indicator that they're ready ? cause my last one didnt have it.

    BTW - dont bother with an auto one of these - i mean theyre ok if you think its a REALLY good one - but the manuals shit all over auto's in power for sure.

    Chris,
    Nelson Bay
    Last edited by Chris QTown; 4 June 2012, 12:43. Reason: spelling mistake

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick V
    replied
    Originally posted by farmer View Post
    Glad to see there is some sense here.
    There is!!!!! Where? Show me, show me!!

    Cheers, Nick

    Leave a comment:


  • farmer
    replied
    Good. I figured that I would either fit in or get banned for that last one. Glad to see there is some sense here.

    Leave a comment:


  • Predictable Bob
    replied


    Don't be silly - standards have always been low here !

    If you doubt the veracity of my statement just think of some of the people on here ...


    Leave a comment:


  • che2318
    replied
    Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
    Most excellent...you fit right in .
    standards have dropped in this place!

    Leave a comment:


  • gwh200
    replied
    Originally posted by farmer View Post
    ask your sister. wait, no those are butt plugs
    Most excellent...you fit right in .

    Leave a comment:


  • farmer
    replied
    Originally posted by che2318 View Post
    whats a glow plug?
    ask your sister. wait, no those are butt plugs

    Leave a comment:


  • che2318
    replied
    LED....isnt that a drug?

    Leave a comment:


  • puddlesurfer
    replied
    Ask POPEYE - he can make you an LED one

    Leave a comment:


  • che2318
    replied
    cool!, can i have one in my room as a night light!?

    Leave a comment:


  • puddlesurfer
    replied
    Originally posted by che2318 View Post
    whats a glow plug?
    A plug that glows!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X