When the fuel light comes on.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the fuel light comes on.......

.....approximately how much is left in the tank? Just curious to know what Toyota gave us as a reserve!

Sorry for all the lame questions. I didn't exactly get a User Manual with my truck.....

I've done 20 gentle miles when truck was stock, but it wouldn't do that now..
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I did 6.5 miles from the light coming on to running out of fuel just outside my house
      My brakes dont work, so i made the horn louder.

Comment

Managed 22 driving with a feather foot before coming to a stop a mile from the nearest fuel.
        My Mrs wouldn't have got 12 out of it, 'cos she drives like a hooligan.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          I've done 20 gentle miles when truck was stock, but it wouldn't do that now..
          Hi Tony - was this when it was just a 3.0 TD?

Hoping to pop over to yours one lunchtime next week (loosely arranged when we spoke on the phone on Thursday). Will call Monday to discuss when's best for you....

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtbag1402 View Post

Hoping to pop over to yours one lunchtime next week (loosely arranged when we spoke on the phone on Thursday). Will call Monday to discuss when's best for you....
            Can you let me know asap if you want my wheels or not?
            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by james-r View Post
              I did 6.5 miles from the light coming on to running out of fuel just outside my house
              6!!!!!!

Wow. Was the house on fire?!

Big difference from others. 2.4 as opposed to 3.0?

Comment

Yes 2.4 and it was nice and steady too, luckily I keep some fuel in the garage because we live miles away from the petrol station.
                I've heard some folks on here say when their fuel light comes on they run out within a mile or so

Comment

Here's a more acurate guide.
                  When I flush out the tanks for these conversions, (2.4 65L tank) they take roughly eight litres before the light goes out.
                  I can pour one gallon (4.5 litre can) into the tank and it makes no difference, add another gallon and the needle just starts to move and the light goes out.
                  So there's over a gallon of fuel left in the tank as soon as the light comes on, but as the Surf has the pump on the engine, it'll only suck up the last dregs of fuel if the truck is on level ground. So the more carefully you drive, the further you will go. Of course this only applies to a standard Surf.
                  All Toyotas seen to have a gallon in reserve by the way.

Comment

Not a Surf, but my mate got 90 miles out of the reserve on his VW Caddy the other day.

Then he ran out of diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtbag1402 View Post

Yeah, its the stock 3.0, and no problem, just call.

Originally posted by james-r View Post
                      eek, did you drag race to your house!

I have a 3rd Gen here ATM, that the light starts to glow at 1/2 tank on the gauge. Thats quite a safety margain!!

I think Vince has pretty much nailed this one to bed with his post.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

do what i do put fuel in to keep it topped up rather than move it off empty, that way you very rarely have to see the petrol pump light come on, i have never seen it yet. I probably put £40-£50 worth of diesel in every week, depends on work travel.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          eek, did you drag race to your house!
                          nope nice steady driving, light came on just as i left work so i tried to make it home it ran out about 100yrds from my house up a hill.

I now keep a full 20l jerry can strapped in the back just incase
                          and i think my fuel gauge is a bit iffy, or its a liar

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                            do what i do put fuel in to keep it topped up rather than move it off empty, that way you very rarely have to see the petrol pump light come on, i have never seen it yet. I probably put £40-£50 worth of diesel in every week, depends on work travel.
                            Good idea, do you feng shui as well?
                            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Is that putting your air-freshner in a relaxing place not to cause interferance with the cd's and phone?

Comment

Working...
                              X