Replacement for the Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for the Surf

I've had my 2.4 for 6 years now and it's been great, best vehicle I've ever owned and still going strong but it's time for a new toy. The surf was my daily driver but is now mostly just used for towing the caravan on holidays and now with a baby were taking more and more stuff and also looking for a bigger caravan so I have managed to persuade her in doors that we need a bigger truck.
    I've always fancied one and now their prices have come down enough I've bought an 80 series Landcruiser.

Loving it! 2.4 was enough power but 4.2 is great.

It needed a bit of work on minor bits like electric windows and rear diff lock not engaging but overall it seems in great nick. It needs BFG's and maybe a snorkel and expedition roof rack but overall I'm well pleased. Unfortunately I guess this means a partial goodbye. This forum has been a fantastic source of info and I appreciate all the tips everyone has shared.

My surfs on the for sale section (funds paypal'd) so have a look if your buying

Many thanks
    Darren
    Attached Files

Nice. In my opinion the 80 is the best looking of the Landcruisers. Diesels however still tend to be bit pricey and the cheaper ones are usually tatty and with starship mileages. Petrol ones are a bit cheaper to buy but real fuel guzzlers. Even with LPG conversions I cant imagine them doing any better than a 25mpg equivalent, and probably a bit less. Looks like you got reasonably lucky with yours.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Most of the diesel 80's were silly money or rubbish as you said but there are a few bargains around, I paid £3550 for an M reg diesel Auto with 170k miles but very tidy.

I really wanted an auto (so 12v not 24v diesel) for getting a caravan in to tight spots without killing the clutch and wanted leather (VX) and not air springs (VX 100's) so an M reg 80 is about the newest option for me.

The miles are more than I hoped but the engine runs really well and mechanically it seems well looked after and should last alot more. I've fixed a few niggles and have a few more to go. Body wise it's really tidy with only the usual bumper scuffs and the leather interior isn't bad at all.

The same condition and mileage examples with the dealers are still going for £5-6k so as long as it doesn't go up in smoke in the next month I'm happy I got a good deal but I'm sure someone will point out a better one!
      Last edited by Darren; 3 October 2010, 15:42.

Comment

I have been keeping an eye on them for a few years and yours is a bargian, £5-6k is the norm for a late 80 vx in good nick, diesel.
        Yours looks good.

enjoy it!
        l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

There is a VX Colorado down the road from me for £4000....full leather! not sure on the miles etc!

But if anyone is interested I can pop down and get the specs!

Do love the land Cruisers....but I like the older ones! same as the MK1 Shogun

Matt

Comment

Working...
          X