Cooling Fan going at about 50000rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Fan going at about 50000rpm

Okay, was showing off my A-bar the other day and I noticed the radiator fan started to go at a hell of a rate. I decided not to run crying to hiluxsurf.co.uk just yet, but have now noticed it everyday since and was wondering if anyone had any idea if this was normal or something worth worrying about. The temperature gauge hasn't went above the half way mark and I haven't been driving it like a maniac.

Any ideas?

Also, when putting on my wheel arches last week I noticed a plug hanging down at the front passenger side. Just realised it was from the fuel filter and have just plugged it back in. It seems to be fine, but I guess this was just for a fuel filter warning system? Am I right, is there any issue with it being disconnected?

Thank, thank, thank you.

UPDATED ON THE NEXT PAGE
    Last edited by topsurfing; 8 October 2010, 17:55.
    Love Surfs, know nothing.

Yours is an LN130 so you have three electric fans at the front. Two are actually behind / on top of the bash plate and for the air conditioning, the other one is in front of the radiator and is a backup to the engine powered cooling fan. If the backup was going, is there enough water in the system? I'm not sure if a faulty sensor would make it go constantly - however my friends Subaru did this when the engine temp sensor for the fan only was faulty.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

If the back -up electric fan is running all the time check the lead to the sensor (on the thermostat houseing) hasen't broken, this will cause the fan to run, the two fans under the bash plate are as said for the air con rad, for all the use that is i'd junk all the air con shoit, less weight, more room, open the window if the weathers hot
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

And the wire that wasn't connected to the filter is the water level warning light. No isues with it not being connected.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
          If the back -up electric fan is running all the time check the lead to the sensor (on the thermostat houseing) hasen't broken, this will cause the fan to run, the two fans under the bash plate are as said for the air con rad, for all the use that is i'd junk all the air con shoit, less weight, more room, open the window if the weathers hot
          My 2.4 air con used to work okay!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
            My 2.4 air con used to work okay!
            Was your's one of the 210bhp ones? When my 2.4 air con cut in, the truck almost stopped!

Comment

Mine worked ok too, but as Abanach says when it connected the revs would drop noticably, i never use it on the surf and only once in three years of owning a granada, waste of time in this country,
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                Was your's one of the 210bhp ones? When my 2.4 air con cut in, the truck almost stopped!
                a 210bhp 2.4? Have you been taking mushrooms again?
                When my air con cut in, my engine RPM increased actually.. Never noticed it during driving. May be something was broke on yours?
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  Mine worked ok too, but as Abanach says when it connected the revs would drop noticably, i never use it on the surf and only once in three years of owning a granada, waste of time in this country,
                  Just seen your post as well.. My air con made my RPM increase. Not as much as having fast idle turned on but it definitely did send something to the ECU or whatever to increase RPM.
                  I used my air con in the cold / wet days as well as in the summer. I find if you have 2 or more people in the truck, and it's raining out then using the air conditioning helps keep all of the windows demisted. Just move the temperature over to the warm side. You can get it right so it keeps it not too hot not too cold
                  I love the air con in the summer. Would be even better if there was an air conditioned cubby hole, or bigger glove box with AC.. Could keep your drinks cool!
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                    a 210bhp 2.4?
                    Yep, like the one in the 'Tuning' thread.

Comment

Over Heating.....worried.

Okay, so have been away for a week or so, so thank you for your replies, not had a chance to look at the Surf, but have tomorrow all to myself to play with it. Was hoping to clean and polish it, but seems I'll need to look at this issue.

Was just sitting outside idling and noticed the fan came on full speed again. This is when it normally happens (stopped at lights etc), but this time I was just waiting and noticed the temp gauge had creeped up close to the red. I drove round the block and it went back down to its normal temp.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm hoping the head is ok, it's only done 47K miles.

Comment

Ignore me ignore me ignore me

Topped up the engine coolant level, solved the problem. Only after I stopped crying did I realise I hadn't checked, what was the obvious problem.

I'm guessing my next post will be something along the lines of.....please help me, my windscreen washer seems to have ran out of water -WHAT DO I DO.

It's difficult being me sometimes.

Comment

you say "topped up", was this the rad or expansion bottle, if its both I'd be more worried about where its going, if it was the rad I'd still be worried, unless the expansion bottle was empty too, since my head gone escapade I check the rad every morning. H

Comment

Same symptoms I had like I mentioned before.. I had an air lock preventing circulation. So when I drove, the water pump speed / pressure increased and the water flowed around once more and circulated the hot water away from the block and was replaced with cooler water.
                            Probably best you look at that sooner rather than later as later might cost you a new head.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

210bhp is a 3.0l kzn 130, not a 2.4
                              Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

Comment

Working...
                              X