• Show
Clear All

• Surf Alarm

Has anyone fitted these ?

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/cliff...ry-p-1967.html

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/cliff...rt-p-9676.html

any thoughts ?
    If it can be broken it can be fixed

Like em!!! however if you fit it you will not get the Insurance discount but its more a deterant than anything.

Clifford is by far the best on the market...
    Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by madmanc View Post
      Like em!!! however if you fit it you will not get the Insurance discount but its more a deterant than anything.

Clifford is by far the best on the market...
      Thanks, yeh a few people have recommended the Clifford ones. I can't see my insurance going down much by having it professionally fitted.

I was not sure if there was any problems with the wiring on surfs with regards the remote central locking and also the remote engine start.

Comment

If it is not professionally fitted it probably would not be worth telling the insurance.

They only care about Thacham approved devices (and they have to fitted and stamped by an approved fitter). On my old Nissan I had a Cobra alarm that was thacham approved but not fitted by a professional, the insurance company at the time dropped the quote by £30 - would have been nearly £100 if it was approved.
        Silly as the car was only worth £1000 and I was insuring it for nearly £700!

My surf came with a turbo timer (not sure why really) but it has warm up feature on it so that's my winter mornings sorted!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by madmanc View Post
          Clifford
          Worst.
          Alarm.
          Evarrrr.

I had one when I had a Golf GTI habit. Concept 50X. It was the nuts at the time. The one that screeched if you looked in the windows. Or if a furtive-looking leaf passed by. Or a tree branch gently swayed in the Summer mistral. 10 ft. away...

Buy one if you enjoy the alarm going off at random on the M1, or the signal from they keyfob being blocked out by every mobile mast in town. Try disarming it then. Esp if you've had the doors de-locked... No other alarm I've had has suffered from the same thing.

Maybe they've got better now they've moved production to the same Chinese sweatshop that bang out musical greeting cards, your call...

Just my 2p.
          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
            Worst.
            Alarm.
            Evarrrr.

I had one when I had a Golf GTI habit. Concept 50X. It was the nuts at the time. The one that screeched if you looked in the windows. Or if a furtive-looking leaf passed by. Or a tree branch gently swayed in the Summer mistral. 10 ft. away...

Buy one if you enjoy the alarm going off at random on the M1, or the signal from they keyfob being blocked out by every mobile mast in town. Try disarming it then. Esp if you've had the doors de-locked... No other alarm I've had has suffered from the same thing.

Maybe they've got better now they've moved production to the same Chinese sweatshop that bang out musical greeting cards, your call...

Just my 2p.
            Sounds like it was fitted incorrectly. I've had cheap chinese alarms fitted to a couple of cars now - the ones that page you and you can start them on the keyfob and do all sorts of funky things like flash headlights. Never had any problem with unlocking or disarming - paging was the best idea ever, range was fantastic.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You can fit the alarm yourself (whatever make) and get it certified - when I bought my Truck I had to pay to get the immobiliser tested and get a certificate for my insurance
              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

i had a toad fitted thatchem 1 or something
                cost the earth
                first off roading i did took it in a watewr run
                i have never heard my alarm since

its top nacker but cant do water?

so if ya pay lots out bag it off brfoe doing a water runn
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

i got a cheap one of ebay the alarm itself is reasonably good it has self arming, anti-hijack, remote locking, remote start, auto boot release, door ajar warning, internal micrwave sensing and it use's the vw type flip out key that will accept any key blank so the remote fob is part of the key and if memory serves it was about £35 delivered so i didn't expect a lot but it seems to be ok but it isn't thatchem approved but when the alarm is triggered it has one of the loudest sirens i've ever heard it makes your ears ring for hours after yes and thats through experience after i fitted it i forgot and just opened the door without disarming the ###### thing
                  most alarms are only a deterent anyway if a thief wants it he will get it its up to the owner to make it as hard as possible for them in the first place the opportunist thief will leave it but a professional thief will take it no matter what alarms fitted as the rewards do outweigh the risks in most cases IMHO
                  I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replys.

Tonupteabag have you fitted that system to the surf or another car? Also what was the name of supplier on fleabay?

To be honest I'm more keen on the remote engine start bit as the thought of getting into a nice warm car on a col icy / snowy morning is good. I'm not a fan of spending 10 minutes scraping ice off the car in the morning.

Plus the key with the remote central locking is falling apart so I've been using the spare which does not have it :-(

The cost of buggering about with a new key is probably a chunk of the £50 approximate for the alarm system.

I'll stick the siren up high under the bonnet to avoid the water problem.

My surf has the turbo timer, but I can and have only used it to cool down. Is it possible to set it to start the engine ?

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Comment

My Turbo Timer has a warm up feature....automatically set for 10minutes.

But I still need to start the engine and then remove the key.

I have an immobilizer fitted...is it easy to add on the alarm to this?

I am also considering buying a remote central locking kit from ebay.... fitted one to my wife's Rav4 when she got it....and it works a treat! as was a dodle to fit

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post
                        Thanks everyone for the replys.

Tonupteabag have you fitted that system to the surf or another car? Also what was the name of supplier on fleabay?

To be honest I'm more keen on the remote engine start bit as the thought of getting into a nice warm car on a col icy / snowy morning is good. I'm not a fan of spending 10 minutes scraping ice off the car in the morning.

Plus the key with the remote central locking is falling apart so I've been using the spare which does not have it :-(

The cost of buggering about with a new key is probably a chunk of the £50 approximate for the alarm system.

I'll stick the siren up high under the bonnet to avoid the water problem.

My surf has the turbo timer, but I can and have only used it to cool down. Is it possible to set it to start the engine ?

Thanks again everyone for the input.
                        yep its fitted to my surf took about 21/2hrs coz of the trim removal but i bought it a few years back and it just sat in the garage so i thought about remote locking and remembered i had it so i wired it in i don't have the remote start wired in or the boot release coz i couldn't be bothered but i could try and find it or something like it but i need a day or so for searching let me know and i'll start looking later

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEEL-MATE-838...item27b4f417bc
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUSION-F2000-C...3a20c90b5#shId
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CAR-ALARM-...item3cb12c596e
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

have a look at these and see what you think about the features and the price as i don't know what you want to spend on an alarm

Comment

Much less bother if you just fit a removable steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Much less bother if you just fit a removable steering wheel.
                              aye but i still prefer the african car theft deterent a butane flame thrower coming out of the side of the car......it cooks the thief so you can get free fast food and keep your car all in one!!!! result......

Comment

Working...
                              X