**Petrolheads only**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Petrolheads only**

Ford (U.S.) have developed a brand new multi-valved 5.0 V8, (wonder where they got their ideas from?) mainly for the new Mustang, but can be purchased as crate motor complete with installation pack to enable fitting into any other car.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ine/index.html

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12284

Most excellent!

Mmm lots of PETROL.......would it fit in a 3rd Gen ?
    Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

I have seen a Saab 9000 with the same HP as that and about the same torque.

When the saab club did a rolling road event, he was pushing 420bhp and was not finished.

A my old saab garage had a track day saab 9-3 2,0 Turbo up to nearly 400bhp.

Bigger is not always better......But I would not say no to one!

Matt

Comment

Japs reading that must be somewhat puzzled by the seemingly pathetic 80bhp per litre though.

I wonder if the different directions the two countries have taken in producing horsepower is anything to do with the topography of the countries?

America - distances are huge, journeys are long. A lot of Americans think nothing of driving their RV 1000 miles to a vacation spot. Japan isn't even 1000 miles along its longest dimension! USA distances call for engines capable of big mileages, whereas in Japan, you've probably got 10 miles before the next big traffic jam.

Must admit my gut tells me a big lazy engine is nicer than a small highly stressed unit for a big GT car like a Mustang, but the smaller engine nicer in the pocket rockets the japs seem so adept at.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

So vince when do we see the first FordSurf ??
          Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Japs reading that must be somewhat puzzled by the seemingly pathetic 80bhp per litre though.

I wonder if the different directions the two countries have taken in producing horsepower is anything to do with the topography of the countries?

America - distances are huge, journeys are long. A lot of Americans think nothing of driving their RV 1000 miles to a vacation spot. Japan isn't even 1000 miles along its longest dimension! USA distances call for engines capable of big mileages, whereas in Japan, you've probably got 10 miles before the next big traffic jam.

Must admit my gut tells me a big lazy engine is nicer than a small highly stressed unit for a big GT car like a Mustang, but the smaller engine nicer in the pocket rockets the japs seem so adept at.

Exactly.
            Jap engines are the 'point and squirt' type with loads of frantic gear changes, Yank engines are under stressed plodders that are built for torque, i.e. select any gear and press the loud pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Exactly.
              Jap engines are the 'point and squirt' type with loads of frantic gear changes, Yank engines are under stressed plodders that are built for torque, i.e. select any gear and press the loud pedal.
              Just like big 4s as opposed to big twins.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by funkykebab View Post

When the saab club did a rolling road event, he was pushing 420bhp and was not finished.

Matt
                From a turbo 4 cylinder to a non turbo 8 cylnder, it would be a completely different power band and charecteristics.
                I would say try one before you make your mind up!
                Remember that the US have strict emmission laws. Their engines power are dumbed down by things like catalytic converters and restrictions.
                I must say though, I am a fan of big capacity engines. Throw forced induction onto those as well and you are usually looking at huge power benefits.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Exactly.
                  Here is something that may ammuse you. The OHV 5.0 V8 that makes 120hp and 220lb/f torque
                  http://www.american-motors.de/en/pacer/specs/
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by funkykebab View Post

Matt

The difference between out-of-the-box power and tweaked to the point of imminent destruction in this case though.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      Here is something that may ammuse you. The OHV 5.0 V8 that makes 120hp and 220lb/f torque
                      http://www.american-motors.de/en/pacer/specs/

Party on Garth!

Comment

Working...
                      X