EU Approved (ugh) A bar, or FPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU Approved (ugh) A bar, or FPS?

Is there one for the surf (gen3)? I can find plenty for domestic 4x4s, but none for the surf, has anyone had any luck with this? I'm not looking to tank it up, I just want a little bar to mount some spots on! Also, if any one here speaks legal, a translation of the law on front bars would be... illuminating!

Keep an eye open on Ebay or the For Sale section on here. You can't buy new as it's now against the law, you can buy second hand as that's still legal. Weird huh?

[Edit]
    Hmmmm, now I'm confused. Just been on Ebay and there are loads of new bull bars for sale (no 3rd gens though). How does that pan out then, I thought that new ones were illegal?
    Last edited by Scorpion; 8 September 2010, 18:54.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Hmmm, my understanding is that new bars have to goe through an approval process and owners have got to have paper work for them, I think the bars have also got to have an approval code stamped on them - or at least that's the EU stance anyhow, I'm not sure if it's statutory in this country yet.

It's second-hand bars that I'm a little murky on though, I've heard any and all combinations of the following:

They're ok if they were FITTED before EU legislation.

They're ok if they were SOLD before EU legislation.

They're ok if they are fitted on a car that was manufactured prior to EU legislation.

They're not ok.

They're ok if you don't get caught.

So, suffice to say, I'm very confused on the issue!

Comment

At the end of the day who is to know whether the bars were fitted before the truck come into the country or not.If you can get some just fit them and don't worry.It will be down to the law makers to prove that the bar were fitted after the law changed
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Aye, that's what I was thinking. As long as that is the correct interpretation of the law of course though. My understanding is that my chassis is the same as a LWB prado of the same era, does that not mean that bars will use the same fitting points on the two, or am I just being naive?

Comment

I have a factory 3rd gen A bar with spot lights. Yours for £100 plus delivery.
            {Used}
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              I have a factory 3rd gen A bar with spot lights. Yours for £100 plus delivery.
              {Used}
              Yes, definately! Is everything there to fit it? And how would you want to be paid? Time to spend my tax refund

Comment

Originally posted by leighh View Post
                Yes, definately! Is everything there to fit it? And how would you want to be paid? Time to spend my tax refund
                Drop me an email bmck1@tiscali.co.uk
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by leighh View Post
                  I'd be careful with that, they'll wait till you spend it then come asking for it back as the dicks in HMG will have made another "error", computer, it saaaaay, nooooo. H

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                    Drop me an email bmck1@tiscali.co.uk
                    Sent

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                      I'd be careful with that, they'll wait till you spend it then come asking for it back as the dicks in HMG will have made another "error", computer, it saaaaay, nooooo. H
                      Haha. They've already sent me cheque for more than the amount they said that they owe me. Idiots. If they ask for it back, I'll send them a letter saying that I'm processing their request - then I'll get back to them in a couple of decades. Hope no one here works for hmrc ...

Comment

Working...
                      X