how easy to fit a set of rear springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how easy to fit a set of rear springs

just ordered a set of roughtrax rear springs for the surf. ive changed rear springs before but never on a toyota surf. is there a set easy way to do it.

i pressume you can jack the car up via the body, take the wheel off and let the axle drop enough to get the springs in and out without a spring compressor.

Originally posted by jgs600 View Post
    just ordered a set of roughtrax rear springs for the surf. ive changed rear springs before but never on a toyota surf. is there a set easy way to do it.

i pressume you can jack the car up via the body, take the wheel off and let the axle drop enough to get the springs in and out without a spring compressor.
    I had to use a spring compressor when I did mine about a month ago - apart from that it's easy.
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

After unbolting the shocks, yes; sometimes.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Just remember to do one side at a time and don't drop the rear axle so far that it puts undue strain on the LSPV bracket, otherwise you're likely to rip the rear brake lines off the axle.

Other than that, yes it's quite easy if you use spring compressors. Note that the Roughtrax ones are slightly taller than normal but will work with standard shocks.
        Mike G

Comment

I did it with two jacks and two axle stands. Jack it up,put axle stands under chassis rails,take wheels off,undo arms on both sides and panhard rod.Jack up one side of your axle and remove/replace spring on opposite side and repeat process for the otherside,they will pop into place when the weight is back down on them.

Comment

well ordered a set from roughtrax and they were delivered the next morning.... very good service. they are black +2" springs.

Comment

well ordered a set from roughtrax and they were delivered the next morning.... very good service. they are black +2" springs.

I fitted those same springs (Thanks Phantom once again) on my truck with a lot of help from Mudskipper a few months back, had the rear ARB removed before that but I think you will need to at least disconnect it before you will get the new springs in, and you will need spring clamps too. Otherwise you would definitely need to disconnect the mounts on the rear break pipe.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63664

The pics didn't appear so big when I first posted them, but seem to have grown since the forum went down for a few days and came back up, not sure how to fix them now.

peace
              cal
              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X