Advice on what to buy please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on what to buy please...

Hi, I am in the building trade and need to replace my current Renault Traffic in a couple of months.

I now need a vehicle that can seat 4 people, be suitable for carrying my tools, bags of plaster etc and also powerful enough to tow a Hymer 4 berth caravan. The Hymer caravans are German and heavier than British ones. I think it is 1.3 tonnes but can confirm if required.

I have shortlisted the Toyota Hilux and the Surf seems to be a good contender.
    I just need to know it will handle the caravan.

I also need something that is bullet proof and reliable as we intend to tour Europe next year with the caravan.

I could do with knowing which model/engine etc would best suit my needs.

My budget is not firm but somewhere around £3 to 5,000 if this will be enough.

Does the high mileage eg 100,000 matter too much on the Surf?

Thanks in advance, Karl

i think its the third gen surf for you then.

hello and welcome!
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

We towed a twin axle caravan MPTLM of 1650kg behind the Surf with no problem. Only drawback is that you have to watch the mph as it is easy to exceed 60mph on motorway as that is what you are restrcited to when towing.
      My 3rd gen diesel auto with 91,000 miles on the clock may be coming up for sale within the next month and it has a towbar and electrics suitable for a continental caravan.

Comment

Hi and welcome

As Che says go for the 3rd gen.As you are using it for work aswell then with the lift up tailgate it will be ideal for what you need.As for towing i have a 1999 3rd gen and i tow just under 2500kg and the surf pulls very well.With 3-5k you will get a very good 3rd gen for that money.I paid 4.5k for mine a few months ago from a forum member here.Don't buy the first one you see and have a good read about the 3rd gens aswell on here as there is a few differences with the transmission on them
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If you have 5k, buy a landcrusier
          Brian

Comment

ooohhh good shout.

Comment

I think the 4.2TD Landcruiser would be more suited. It's bigger and more powerful, although more juicy on Diesel.
              You would have no trouble comfortably seating 4 or 5 people, and building materials in the boot.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Discovery ??

Ok I,ll get my coat.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                  Discovery ??

Ok I,ll get my coat.

Bogus

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                    Discovery ??

Ok I,ll get my coat.

Bogus
                    Aye large load space however, he is also hoping to drive it to jobs.
                    Brian

Comment

"DID" some one say "LANDCRUISER" my favorite word had mine nearly 14 years now here is a picture of it pulls anyhting allday long.

Hilux Bob
                      Attached Files
                      Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        If you have 5k, buy a landcrusier
                        Good call Brian.... Money well spent too !!

Jess
                        "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Karl, I use mine for the same purpose. depends on what you do day to day.
                          Its not ideal for larger items due to floor to ceiling height. but depth is good.
                          Ideally you'd buy a 4 seater van - think VW.Even a VX Zafira has better load space, more accessible than a surf, but can't tow what you need. But it seems you're buying with your heart not your head. And with that, you'll find the surf LOADS better to drive, better looking and more refined than the Disco, however not as good as a Landcruiser.
                          What about a Range Rover and a trailer?
                          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies. The Landcruiser was my other short listed vehicle.

Would this be more suitable for my needs than a Surf? If so do you have any advice on which model to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by _Karl_ View Post
                              Hi thanks for the replies. The Landcruiser was my other short listed vehicle.

Would this be more suitable for my needs than a Surf? If so do you have any advice on which model to buy?
                              Buy the 80 series big vx amazon ect
                              Both the diesel and petrol are great engines.

If you find a petrol with gas conversion go for that.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X