veg oil heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veg oil heater

i know this isn't in the correct place so if possible and its relavent can it please be moved to the appropiate place
    anyhow has anyone got any ideas or remarks about this i found on fleabay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

I know nothing about using veg oil but it looks good to me!
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
      i know this isn't in the correct place so if possible and its relavent can it please be moved to the appropiate place
      anyhow has anyone got any ideas or remarks about this i found on fleabay
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
      Its useless, if this is to aid your surf to run on veg oil easier, you need a Flat Plate heat exchanger, before your IP.
      These electrical ones put more load on your engine when operating and do not heat up the oil enough.

See this thread:

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/....php?tid=19425

cheers
      l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

As above..
        Get a FPHE from ebay with male bsp unions (£20-£30) or if you can find one - a Bowman shell and tube HE - and plumb it into your cabin heater hose. When i ran on WVO - my HE got oil hot in no time - and doesn't drain your battery down - esp' on cold mornings.
        no wiring issues- fuses to change - glowplugs to replace etc etc - just fit and forget!!
        That ebay unit with one glow plug - indirectly heating the oil would have little heating effect on the amount of fuel pumped by a big 4x4 diesel engine IP.

incidently - "they" say that wvo should idealy be heated to around 60'c - 70'c to lower it's viscosity to that of dino. that ebay unit (in my opinion) would not have enough umphh to continuously heat the flow of fuel in your surf.
        Last edited by jaky cakes; 29 August 2010, 18:51.
        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

cheers guys just wondering about doing the wvo filtering and i going to need an awful lot of advice and help i think, if i make a cockup the wife will have my nuts for earrings ya see so i gotta get it right first time

Comment

Just ask away when you're uncertain - plenty of folk on here use wvo or even make bio.
            I started 5 years ago using svo - then built a settle / heat / filter / store system for wvo now onto my second bio processor.
            Doing average miles - I save around £3000 per year on fuel - which more than pays for insurance/tax/mot work and other goodies!

Comment

i've been trying to find someone down in devon who supplies bio but it seems to be a bit out of sync with the rest of the country regarding bio as at the minute i think the nearest people who do it are 50mls away so it isn't really viable as yet.
              i was thinking of trying to set up my own little system but i have been reading about heaters and filtering plus what to add in what quantities in the production stage and a lot of it depends on who you speak to in this as a lot of them don't like to give too much away in how they do it, i haven't asked to many questions on here yet concerning bio but i'm looking about for ideas for the filtering system to set up in the garage but i'm not sure about tanks i was thinking for experimenting using jerry cans three of them for the second and third filtering to 1 micron the third being for filling the truck with but as i'm not to sure yet about the way to go about it and the fact the garage is full of crap and bikes i've got to get shut off
              oh well ebay here we come

Comment

If you're thinking of making bio - read and save the link below - lots of bio producers use this method to start with and even experienced makers use the same basic processor & technique.
                It all looks a bit daunting at first - but if you can solder copper pipe you could knock a system up for around £200 ish - buying valves/pipe/fittings etc - but what you end up with is a system that will outlast and be very safe to operate compared with the green oil drum systems on ebay for a few hundred quid.
                BTW if you do look at the green oil drum processors on ebay DO NOT THINK OF BUYING ONE!! they are a time bomb! seriously!

LINK....
                http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/ecos...iagram_new.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                  If you're thinking of making bio - read and save the link below - lots of bio producers use this method to start with and even experienced makers use the same basic processor & technique.
                  It all looks a bit daunting at first - but if you can solder copper pipe you could knock a system up for around £200 ish - buying valves/pipe/fittings etc - but what you end up with is a system that will outlast and be very safe to operate compared with the green oil drum systems on ebay for a few hundred quid.
                  BTW if you do look at the green oil drum processors on ebay DO NOT THINK OF BUYING ONE!! they are a time bomb! seriously!

LINK....
                  http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/ecos...iagram_new.htm
                  The link isn't working for me...

<EDIT> It's working now - it was giving me a 404 earlier...</EDIT>
                  Last edited by Rustinho; 30 August 2010, 15:16.

Comment

strange - works fine for me?????
                    try right click --- open??????

Comment

I've got nothing against using an electronic unit to heat fuel untill the engine has enough heat to operate the other system but this seems to be a useless piece of equipment.

He states that room tempersture was 14 deg C and the unit was 54 deg C. What did he do, stick it in the oven? Even so it took 26 more seconds to reach 70 deg C without actually heating anything but the unit. Fuel flowing through would increase that time dramatically and would be flat out heating anything if started at ambient temperature. I'm not an electronic genius but could surely build something better than that piece of junk. Besises that if using a glow plug for a 12V system and actually supplying 12V or more to the glow plug would quickly destroy it. The glow plugs are actually rated at 11V and usually get no more than about 10.5V.

Nev

Comment

cheers nev this is why i posted it in the first place as i don't know enough about playing with vegoil/wvo or anything of that ilk and the more info i can get from forum members on the subject i know that it will be good info and i can trust whats being said instead of glorified bullsh't on the web from too many people who know a little from reading and not from experience

Comment

i used to run veg on my mitsubishi before i started making biodiesel about 2 years ago.

an old peugeot heated fuel filter is the best and cheapest option. these were fitted on 405 and 205 diesels from the 1980s and can be found in scrap yards quite cheap. take the thermostat out and plumb it into the heater pipes. gets nice and hot.. trust me.. i also used to run a flat plate heater and an inline glow plug heater. to be honest the glow plug heaters arnt that good as the actual injection pump will be stone cold when you first crank the old girl over and will cool any heated fuel up straight away. the best way to go imho is to fit a small aux tank and get a pollock valve set up so you can start on diesel and then after a couple of mins switch over to veg.
                          just found this on ebay.. would be ideal for someone wanting to run on veg...
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Biodiesel-in-l...es_CarParts_SM
                          Last edited by jgs600; 30 August 2010, 15:28.

Comment

If I could find a used oil spplier near me I'd have a go!
                            “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                              If I could find a used oil spplier near me I'd have a go!
                              I get spare sometimes, so let me know if you want any. Can swap for beer tokens!
                              l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Working...
                              X