Newbie alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie alert

Just bought a Hilux Surf diesel 3 litre on an R plate 1997 anyone tell me if it is second or third gen? I have a vibration on the steering wheel over 60mph was wondering if it is the tyres? they are marshalls at the front and two different ones at the back one is a bridgestone should i get another bridgstone for the rear to match? bear with me im a chick! xx

Originally posted by Rachy View Post
    Just bought a Hilux Surf diesel 3 litre on an R plate 1997 anyone tell me if it is second or third gen? I have a vibration on the steering wheel over 60mph was wondering if it is the tyres? they are marshalls at the front and two different ones at the back one is a bridgestone should i get another bridgstone for the rear to match? bear with me im a chick! xx
    Hi Welcome, yours should be a third generation surf judging by the year, as for the fault some one will be along to give you some ideas. I am new to surfs myself!
    l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Hi and welcome Rachy, as a general rule it's never to good to have a mix and match of tyres but having said that it depends on what your using it for (on or off road), with regards to the vibration, are the front tyres wearing evenly (tracking etc), also check the wheel bearings (jack the truck up and try and wobble the wheel top to bottom, left to right, just see if there is a lot of play there, there shouldn't be).
      These are just a couple of quick and easy checks you can do to help diagnose it, there'll be some more ideas thrown in shortly no doubt.
      Neal

Comment

I'm guessing that the tyres its on are the ones it was imported on. Bridgestone aren't a common choice in the UK. If so, and the truck has been stood for a while in Japan / here, the tyres could be fooked anyway. Get them checked by your favorite tyre fitter place. They can check the balance of them too, which is the most likely reason for vibration over 60mph.

Bearings have to be REALLY bad before you feel it as a vibration, and you'd feel it at any speed.

Next thing to check if the tyres are balanced OK is propshaft UJ bearings, especially rear prop. This can cause severe vibration, but generally felt through the whole truck, whereas tyre balance issues are felt more through the steering wheel.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thank you. Think its the tyres will hopefully have that sorted out shortly we use it mainly on road but it will have some off road use as it is the reason for buying! Fancy a bit of green laning!
          Its a burgundy/silver paint combo and it is an SSR X model. 3.0 litre diesel. Imported in 2007 and had two owners in UK. Part ex'd our beloved VR4 Legnum for it.
          Will get around to checking it all out when we have time in the midst of moving, so far the truck has been very useful for that!

Comment

Welcome Rach.As others have said do the basic wheel/tyre checks as it does sound like either the tyres or the tracking is out.Enjoy the truck and be sure to post some pics of it soon.I haven't seen many burgundy 3rd gens but the one i did see down here looked very nice
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hello welcome, listen to advice from these guy's they really know what they're talking about!
              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Ditto to puddlesurfer!

Greetings & welcome to Surfdom!

Comment

welcome dudet
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Ello and welcome

Also just check the wheel nuts are tight enough, might sound daft but you'd be suprised hehe

peace
                    cal
                    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachael, and welcome. Third gen. Sounds like a simple wheel ballancing job. Theres loads of good info on the site. Youll learn a lot. (and ocasionally get really confused, I know I do lol! )....Cheers....Mick.
                      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Thanks guys...the noise from the wheels is a rubbing noise like they are catching on the road almost too much? if that makes any sense at all and it needs a good heavy boot to get it to move! This is NOT good when parking as I nearly front ended it this morning oopps.

The tyres are all brand spanking new except the spare...but as I said marshalls on the front and mis match on the rear so may swap the two front tyres to the rear iyswim? So that the two driving wheels are the same.

The centre console around the gerabox concerns me it gets red hot and I ahve found an oil leak not sure as yet what it is...or where from but it is a yellow brown fluid and its not thick. ????ATF???

Any ideas what I should check and change on the car to make sure I have no nasty surprises? Any good garages/mechanics around SHREWSBURY? or even better any one brave enough to come take a peek?
                        Oh and how do i post a pic on a thread?
                        Last edited by Rachy; 22 August 2010, 16:18.

Comment

Thanks guys...the noise from the wheels is a rubbing noise like they are catching on the road almost too much? if that makes any sense at all and it needs a good heavy boot to get it to move! This is NOT good when parking as I nearly front ended it this morning oopps.
                          Could one of your brakes be stuck on? I'm sure there must be someone on here near you who'll be able to take a look?
                          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                            Could one of your brakes be stuck on? I'm sure there must be someone on here near you who'll be able to take a look?
                            you read my mind i did think a caliper was stuck but from looking at the wheels nothing looks suspect..

Comment

No way of telling from just looking. You need to jack it up and spin the wheels. Do you have a hot wheel after a drive? Mind you, less than sprightly take-off will be magnified if the last vehicle you drove was a Walls Magnum VR4 or whatever it was.

The oil, yellow brown, sounds like fresh engine oil. ATF is translucent red, or if its shagged, brown or blackish.

Your problems have multiplied since this morning! If you ever venture so far south down the A49 as Malvern (worcs) I'll be happy to give it a once over. If not, I occasionally pass the Dobbies roundabout on my way north...

Maybe you're just not cut out for this type of vehicle and would be better with something like, oh I dont know... an ST205 Celica GT-Four?
                              Last edited by Apache; 22 August 2010, 18:02.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X