X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing backwards advice please!!

Hi All,
    I've gone and bought another one with a cooked head-glutton for it
    It's another auto and I need to move it on a dolly about 70 miles, therefore it's got to go on backwards to save the box.
    My question is, will I need to disconnect the front propshaft or will it be O.K. with the 4x4 lever in neutral??
    Anybody??
    Cheers,
    Dave.

pull the prop at the diff end...simples.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks for that, but what I'm saying is, do I really need to disconnect it at all or will it be O.K. in neutral bearing in mind that it's being towed backwards??
      Dave.

Comment

If you're going to the trouble of disconnecting a prop, disconnect the rear one at the diff and tie it up out of the way. Is it easier to tow conventionally?
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Hi put the high-low gear lever in neutral and you can tow it where ever you want dont forget to put the normal gearlever in "N" aswell. I have towed about 15 surfs back from Southhampton to Liverpool gearbox,s worked perfect
          on all of them.
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Make sure the truck thats going on the dolly is fully road legal or you will be done big time.
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Got my nuts today, thanks Rich
              If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

No worries Brad anytime mate.
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux View Post
                  Hi put the high-low gear lever in neutral and you can tow it where ever you want dont forget to put the normal gearlever in "N" aswell. I have towed about 15 surfs back from Southhampton to Liverpool gearbox,s worked perfect
                  on all of them.
                  yeah, I've pulled 2nd and 3rd Gens around on an A-frame, T/Case in N and not had any problems.

you normally can't tow an auto for long because without the engine running oil dosn't circulate around the tailshaft bearings. With the T/Case in N the output shaft on the auto box dosn't go round.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I towed a 56 plate Landcruiser from Santapod to the nearest fuel station (with my old 2.4).. Did no more than 40mph using just a rope and it blew off some pipe either on the gearbox or diff (can't remember exactly)
                    I do remember lots of smoke where oil was dripping onto the exhaust downpipe! Toyota wanted £1500 to fix.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

did you have the t/case and autobox in Neutral?
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally Posted by Hilux
                        on all of them.

yeah, I've pulled 2nd and 3rd Gens around on an A-frame, T/Case in N and not had any problems.

you normally can't tow an auto for long because without the engine running oil dosn't circulate around the tailshaft bearings. With the T/Case in N the output shaft on the auto box dosn't go round.
                        Thanks all, especially TonyN and HiLux---confirms what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure

Stormforce--thanks for the advice re towing with a dolly---they're really clamping down on them now---luckily I've got an Intertrade one which attaches to my Hilux in a semi-permanent state like a spec lift sort of arrangement(similar to what the AA/RAC use) and is 100% legal
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dinnertimedave View Post
                          Thanks all, especially TonyN and HiLux---confirms what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure

Stormforce--thanks for the advice re towing with a dolly---they're really clamping down on them now---luckily I've got an Intertrade one which attaches to my Hilux in a semi-permanent state like a spec lift sort of arrangement(similar to what the AA/RAC use) and is 100% legal
                          How much was the Intertrade thingy and how easy are they to attach/remove?

Comment

Working...
                          X