viscous fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viscous fan

the question being has anyone tried to mate a different fan to the viscous hub? i found a very cheap 8 blade of a 325 bmw its the right diameter for the cowling and its fastened using four nuts the same as the surf. i've heard that one of the 4runners has an 8 blade fan but i couldn't find one anywhere so i am trying this bmw one as i know they are plentifull, i have yet to do the oil replacement in the viscous hub as i can't have my truck off the road as i don't have a backup vehicle, i also want to alter the temp at which the viscous kicks in, i've read through the threads about this but its still a little confusing on the actual temp adjustment as a lot just let it spring back and leave it at that which iirc it's 67 degrees celsius i would think that the fan locking up at about 88 degrees would be ok
    i would like to hear anyone elses idea's as well though as it would help me in figuring this out once and for all
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Fit a multi blade electric fan with an adjustable temp cut in switch.
    Look in Vince's lex conversion parts needed list.
    Brian

Comment

thanks yoshie but i keep hearing conflicting stories about the efficiency and reliability of fitting the kenlow type fans and as i'm not sure if i still have an original head or not i'm paranoid about the damn thing getting hot, plus money is awfully tight at minute so i'm trying to sort it on the cheapest way possible but keeping it as reliable as possible, i was also wondering about fitting a fan with more blades on the electric fan at the front of the radiator as i think its only a four blade fan and i do have a five blade but i think its a touch smaller in diameter than the four blade

Comment

Why not just order the oil, its only 3.99 a bottle, one does the job, I think with the beemer hub n fan you'll not get any increased benefit as the beemer forums have loads about overheating issues too, especially badly maintained models, which I reckon is every car ever built. It wouldn't surprise me to find the makes which use this type fan & hub service them every coolant change with new oil and this is what's usually lacking in our home servicing department, I'd never had done this one without reading about them here as I didn't know they were a serviceable item or that they contained anything whatsoever, never mind silicone oil. H

Comment

cheers for the reply i'm not changing the viscous hub i'm going to see if i can graft the beemer fan itself to the toyota viscous hub i don't know if it will work or not but it's worth a try
          i have looked into the oil for the hub but i'm not sure about the viscosities of silicone oil and what viscosity i would need for replacing my own, this is the first time i've even thought about servicing the viscous coupling as like yourself i didn't realise it could be done

Comment

I had a 325i BWM before I had both Surfs. They E30 forum has a vast of information about crappy cooling because of the crappy viscous setup. My E30 used to run warm in traffic because, it's just poor. If you are going to swap fans, then you would need to rebuild it to manufacturers spec before installing so that the fan is not poor to begin with. If you are going to do that then there is no point unless the fan has a higher CFM rating than the Surf. If it needs rebuilding then you might as well fix your Surf one anyhow.

Search the E30 forum for viscous fan and there are write ups where people rebuilt them. It didnt seem that difficult.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i know of a few bmw's like the 325 525 that have belonged to mates that have never had cooling issues but i understand what you are saying, i am only changing the blade not the hub so the bmw viscous unit will not be used just the blade if it fits as i haven't got it yet
              i thought the bmw blade would have more draw on it having eight blades instead of the seven on the surf blade and they appear to be spaced a little more evenly on the bmw fan
              like i say i'm curious and i'm bored being stuck at home with nowt to do so i'm just expermenting with different setups and ideas
              but any ideas are definately welcome i have got the atf cooler i'm just waiting for hose to turn up then i will have that fitted i've ditched the aircon rad and pump i'm looking into an uprated or bigger radiator for it and when i finally get it sorted i'll probably sell it and get a 3ltr

Comment

Working...
              X