yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a surf, couple of questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a surf, couple of questions....

Hi everyone, first post.

Im looking to upgrade from my Sportrak to a surf, as i need the boot space and towing power for my band equipment, and also to have a bit of fun offroading at weekends.

Ive been looking on here, and few other forums for advice, and the main problem ive seen is that the 2.4 has a common problem with blowing the head. See, id rather not get the 3litre because im 21 in 2 weeks and i reckon the insurance will be waaaay to much. Is there much of a difference in MPG and overall power? Also are there many other differences between the 2?
    Also, most of the ones i see on Pistonheads and ebay are Automatics. Are the Manual ones quite rare to find?

Cheers

Hi,
    There is a noticeable difference in power between the 2.4 and the 3.0, more so if you are towing or gonna be lugging a lot of gear around.
    Towing or carrying a lot of stuff you will get more mpg from the 3.0 and unladden hardly any difference in mpg, would say you will get better mpg at motorway speeds as engine working less.
    Yes there were some issues with the 2.4 heads but find a Surf that has had a new modified head fitted and you should be OK.
    Majority are auto but there are manuals about just not as many.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

There seems to a number (mine included) of 3 litre engines with head problems about. It may just be an age/use/maintenance issue. Friends with similar age Discoverys and Pajeros have has similar issues.

Comment

I'm insured with a company called Noel Dazely. There was a thread not so long ago about insurers as the price seems to have gone up for most this year. When I was 22 I bought my 2.4TD and was insured through Virgin for £800 with some no claims. When I got a 3.0 Virgin wouldnt insure me as they classed it as a "high risk import" Adrian flux then insured me for £490 on the 3.0.
        So keep looking around if some insurers wont insure you or quote stupidly high prices!
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

welcome dude
          i have 2 sportraks and they drive like poo compared to a surf
          so ya picking the right choice here

manuals are not rare thats a sellers ploy
          the uk 4runner is the same has a surf they are mainly petrol and most are manual
          some imports are manual too but there not rare
          alot of bigger sized 4x4's are automatics anyway

if you have not had an automatic then ya dont know what your missing
          i did put my self off automatics untill i tryed one
          no gear change dude its wicked
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

and an auto is quicker away from the lights than a manual, if that matters in a surf but i am still amazed at how quick mine is even fully loaded with kit.

Comment

cheers for the advice guys.
              ive been loooking at various quotes and it seems that i can insure a 4runner for alot cheaper! so i think its gonna have to be a 4runner.

Comment

4runners are cool
                ya going to like em
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I have got a 2.4 surf for sale and its in the garage now having a new mot on it.Its had a new complete engine 2 years ago and it is i good condition but it has the general marks on it like the stone chips etc.There are pics of the truck in the surfs for sale section.
                  4runners tend to have a lot more rust on them compared to the surfs but there are very tidy 4runners out there if you can find them
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                  X