Play in steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play in steering box

Hi all, I don't remember seeing this discussed, so here goes. We've got a lot of play in the steering box. Is that an easy one to solve? I can see what I think is the adjuster on the top of the box, but thought I'd ask here before I go attempting to tighten it.

Alignment is good, and virtually all ball joints in the suspension and steering have been replaced in the last year (although the bottom suspension ones are on the way out already, after only about 5,000 miles - anyone else had cheap Roughtrax ones fail that quickly?)
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

r u sure its in the box and not just a u/j on the steering column.???
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
      r u sure its in the box and not just a u/j on the steering column.???

Yeah, replace the rag joint with a solid one.

Comment

I got RT bottom BJ's about six months back and noticed during my dismantling of the rad etc that the rubber on one side appears to be splitting, I'll price the Toyota ones next time. H

Comment

Can't say for sure if it's the box, not the UJ, I'll have a look at it in more detail. Vince, do you just mean a new one, or a non-UJ section? Expensive part?
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
            I got RT bottom BJ's about six months back and noticed during my dismantling of the rad etc that the rubber on one side appears to be splitting, I'll price the Toyota ones next time. H
            Got a few bits on order with Toyota just now anyway, I'll maybe ring them tomorrow for a price. Slightly disappointed with the RT ones but at under a tenner I guess you get what you pay for.
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
              Can't say for sure if it's the box, not the UJ, I'll have a look at it in more detail. Vince, do you just mean a new one, or a non-UJ section? Expensive part?
              theres a flexible coupling just above the steering box where the column joins it,(a rag joint) made from rubber and textile.remove this and fit a billet part.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cool, thanks. Where I can get one of them, or is it a "speak to a machinist" job?
                Andy

Comment

Cool, thanks. Where I can get one of them, or is it a "speak to a machinist" job?
                  yep best thing to do is give an engineering company the dimensions and pcd of the holes.but it could just be the coupling is knackered,best just to check first and if it is, get another rubber one from toyota seeing as your ordering bits already.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

anyone else had cheap Roughtrax ones fail that quickly?)

Yep.

Comment

I would not fit a solid billet on there myself. You need a bit of flex in there so the movement from the body to chassis is absorbed as well as minor vibrations from road .

Only my opinion.

And if adjusting play from steering box do this with the steering on full lock only.
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                      X