Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Surf

Hi,

Firstly congratulations on a great forum, found lots of useful information that will guide me in my purchase.

Having read through the the variuos threads I've decided to go for a 3.0TD, probably 2nd or 3rd gen depending on what's out there for the money I have(3.5k).

I'm ok on the mechanical side of things but are there any specific areas in which I should look for rust, do the surfs suffer the dreaded worm? (I've owned several Disco's who's mechanicals way outlast the chassis/body).

Secondly I'll be doing a fair bit of towing, could anyone tell me the maximum towing weght (braked) for both manual and auto transimmission 3 litre D's

And if the info is out there the max gross train weight would be a great help.

Any info greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Sulian

Hi,

Having searched around the forum and various other sources I've found an answer (albeit rough) to the GVTW that the 3.0TD surf can deal with.

But... if anyone has any advice on particular areas I need to look at re. rust when viewing a used Surf it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Sulian

Comment

Hi and welcome Sulian.Sorry we seem to of missed this thread yesterday.
      Basically look for everything you would on any other motor.
      Check there is no unusual rattles etc.Find out when the last big service was done inc belts.
      If you are going to be towing heavy trailers then i would advise going for the 3rd gen surf as it has a better towing capacity compared to the 2nd gen.
      For 3.5k you will get yourself a very good 3rd gen.Don't go for the first one you see as you will find a better one around the corner.
      See if there is anyone near to you on the forum that will let you have a good look over a 2nd and 3rd gen and have a test drive.
      The surfs don't normally rust but there is the odd one or two that will havve signs of it.They are nothing like L/Rovers for rusting.
      Good luck on your search
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

welcome dude
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Just to add that i tow 2.5t in my 3rd gen with ease.The 2nd gens you can't tow as much as the 3rd gens.Yoshie posted up on another thread last night about the towing weights for 2nd and 3rd gens.I think the 3rd gen can legally tow 3.5t
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi Jon, and, er, what Richard (Stormy) said. Welcome....Cheers....Mick.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Hello
              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Welcome! It's a good 'un is this forum...

Comment

Start saving your cash, so you can come to Avalanche next year (it's only £70 for the weekend)
                  “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                    Start saving your cash, so you can come to Avalanche next year (it's only £70 for the weekend)
                    Only?! ONLY?!

Just couldn't afford it this year. Maybe next year...

Jap n Jeep Jam was cheaper.

Comment

Hello to you from another new face,enjoy this forum its great and so entertaining and helpfull. xx
                      so long and thanks for all the mud

Comment

Thanks for the replies & hellos...

I didn't think there were many rust issues with the Surf but just thought I'd check.. it'll make a refreshing change after the Disco.

Having had a nose about it appears that a decent early 3rd gen should be in my price range so the hunt commences!

I'll update when I find 'the one'.

Cheers
                        Sulian

Comment

There is no rust issues with the 3rd gen sitting on my drive, yours if you want to part with £3200
                          Brian

Comment

Hi Yoshie,

Could well be interested, couid you let me have the specs + any pics?

Cheers
                            Sulian

Comment

Make a Yoshie bid !

£500 could do it ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                              X