Gen 3 Head gone (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 Head gone (I think)

Following my previous thread re leaking coolant hoses on my Gen 3, I have replaced top and bottom hoses, thermostat and temp sender. The thing still over pressurises the cooling system so that the bottom hose dribbles constantly when running at tickover and blows off completely when you give it some beans up hill!
    Found this out the hard way tonight when doing a test drive.
    White smoke intermittantly from the exhaust so I am concluding that the head has a crack between combustion chambers and cooling jacket.
    Does this sound familiar (or indeed the right conclusion)?

If a new head is needed, any recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Hiya Mark.It does sound like the head unfortunately.
    The best place for buying a head will be either roughtrax or the engine company thats listed in the header of the page.
    Mudskipper has a virtually new head from his 2nd gen 3.0 which i am almost certain is the same as the 3rd gen
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
      Following my previous thread re leaking coolant hoses on my Gen 3, I have replaced top and bottom hoses, thermostat and temp sender. The thing still over pressurises the cooling system so that the bottom hose dribbles constantly when running at tickover and blows off completely when you give it some beans up hill!
      Found this out the hard way tonight when doing a test drive.
      White smoke intermittantly from the exhaust so I am concluding that the head has a crack between combustion chambers and cooling jacket.
      Does this sound familiar (or indeed the right conclusion)?

If a new head is needed, any recommendations?
      Thanks,
      Mark
      I assume you changed the rad cap for a new one?
      also flush the system before you decide

white smoke from the exhaust however is not a good sign
      Last edited by blackpoolsparks; 10 August 2010, 21:50.
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

He had it tested too, it's safe as houses and more than a few quid less than it is on rough trax.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64681

peace
        cal
        Last edited by Calos; 10 August 2010, 22:05.
        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

i sure have, but no idea if it's exactly the same as 3 gen 3ltr?
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have put a new rad cap on it and flushed the system through using the Holts kit.
            Looks like a bit of head shopping is going to be on the menu!

I am fairly proficient mechanically, but not done anything to a diesel car engine. Can one person lift the head easily? In my previous job I did a number of head gasket jobs on big tractors but they were cast iron 6 cylinder jobbies and needed two people to lift in place.

Cheers,
            Mark

Comment

just checked roughtrax and the 2nd and 3rd gen heads are the same
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have put a new rad cap on it and flushed the system through using the Holts kit.
                Looks like a bit of head shopping is going to be on the menu!

I am fairly proficient mechanically, but not done anything to a diesel car engine. Can one person lift the head easily? In my previous job I did a number of head gasket jobs on big tractors but they were cast iron 6 cylinder jobbies and needed two people to lift in place.

Cheers,
                Mark
                1 man job providing you are carefull siteing the head on the new gasket. quite straight forward.
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

I needed a hand to put mine on because my truck is lifted, shoulsd be ok on a standard truck though.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I have a small set of bookcase type stepladders, climbed up, stood on wheelarches and lifted the old one out complete with manifolds, new one without manifolds was a lot lighter so just set myself up and lifted it into place. H

Comment

Thanks for the guidance and advice. I have only just (100 km) fitted a new cam belt. Do you think it is essential to put another new one on?

Comment

Thanks for the guidance and advice. I have only just (100 km) fitted a new cam belt. Do you think it is essential to put another new one on?
                        £675 full kit is a lot of cash why would you knock £40 off that and take the change.
                        In fact if they were not changed with last belt I would say get a pully and tensioner as well.
                        Brian

Comment

he's saying its a new one on there I think, I see no harm in reusing a belt not long in place. H

Comment

Do make sure to use new head bolts however, theyre spring bolts thingamajigs.
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                              In fact if they were not changed with last belt I would say get a pully and tensioner as well.
                              How crucial is that?
                              I did a cambelt change and didnt bother.
                              Milage is quite low- 67K miles
                              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Working...
                              X