Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust heat shield...........

is it completely needed or can i leave it off with no fuss

You mean the shield that Toyota, manufacturer of millions of vehicles chose to spend money on putting on every surf and 4runner ?

I'd say leave it on but there will probably be someone along to say 'I took mine off and the truck didn't explode'

Comment

Thats right, take it off if ya want, it wont explode here a good tip though, i'd avoid removeing it when it's hot!! dont half burn ya fingers
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I put mine back after doing the head as its there for a reason but having snapped two of the fixing bolts it now vibrates when accelerating between 1 1/2 - 2500 revs making a screeching noise which sounds like the truck is about to blow up, it doesn't though and alls quiet when I lift off, I can live with it. H

Comment

Mine often vibrates when I'm accelerating and the rattle sounds ominous, but I'm loathe to take the heat shield off. I'm sure this has been discussed recently and a few people said they had removed theirs with no ill effects.

Found the thread .... here
          Last edited by Scorpion; 8 August 2010, 09:36.
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
            I put mine back after doing the head as its there for a reason but having snapped two of the fixing bolts it now vibrates when accelerating between 1 1/2 - 2500 revs making a screeching noise which sounds like the truck is about to blow up, it doesn't though and alls quiet when I lift off, I can live with it. H
            Try that chemical metal stuff - it fixed my mates punto exhaust shield rattle.

Comment

There are a couple of shields on the Surf, do you mean the one on the downpipe?

When I get my stainless system done I wont be putting the shield back on as it will be cut off, but without it there will be a little more heat soak into the surrounding areas. So floor pan, and I think sump or block but to be honest it wouldnt be noticeable so remove it if it's giving you grief!
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I think most of the shields are to protect the brake lines from heat.

Comment

covers the ex manifold, silver with fins. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                    covers the ex manifold, silver with fins. H

OP's got a 2.4 - turbo at top of engine next to master cylinder. Down pipe has a heat shield wrapped around it as it passes the brakelines.

Cheers,
                    Rob.

Comment

ever split brake fluid on anything hot?
                      i have well i spayed it on a hot engine just to see
                      DO NOT TRY THIS IT MAKES A BAD SMELL BANGS AND BRIGHT COLOURED SPARKS

i would not like to see it hitting a hot exhaust with out the driver knowing its happening
                      bang is not the right word to discripe what could happen
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                      X