Suspension lift for idiots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension lift for idiots

I mean me. I want to sort out my saggy arse, and lift my surf too.

Roughtrax told me to use the +2" springs on the rear and wind up the front, No new shocks are needed.

Please can anyone advise me what to do in simple terms, I dont have much money, so if I do this I want to do this once only, not just change the springs and then find I need shocks, BJ and Diff spacers too (I will change the shocks at some point, in which case would I be better getting +2's)
    They said the CV/UJ might wear more but not noticibly.

Answers in words of two sylables or less would be appreciated
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

You can get away with just replacing the rear springs like R/Trax says but if you got the original shocks then replace them aswell.The front end you can just do the t/bars upto 1.5" before you get excess wear on the cv joints
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

That would probably do me to start with.
      I should end up with the rear 15.5" from rim to arch and front 15" from rim to arch.
      It's a good starting point then I can get BJ/Diff spacers later once I see how it goes.

Are you sure I dont need anything else?, longer brake hoses etc - All I'm worried about is getting it all apart, then finding it wont work.

That means my torsion bars need winding up to give 3"s of lift - thats a hell of a lot (they're at 12" at moment, just off bumpstops)
      Last edited by puddlesurfer; 6 August 2010, 18:01.

Comment

Once you get the shocks and springs then thats all you need.Anything over 2" of lift then you will be looking into the extras like brake lines,bj spacers etc

Comment

I would fit free wheel hubs either way. This allows you to completely save wear on the front boots when you are using it as your daily driver. They are relatively simple to fit if you are not bad at taking things apart and putting back together (which I guess you are since you had RC cars out at the weekend )

Torsion bars are simple to do. Just make sure you have both front wheels off the ground before adjusting. You will need to get alignment done afterwards as repositioning the front wheels further away relative to the steering box causes toe in.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
            You will need to get alignment done afterwards as repositioning the front wheels further away relative to the steering box causes toe in.
            What's steertrak's number? lol

Comment

On a 2" lift the alignment should be ok but you can get it checked out anyway if you feel its not right

Comment

Puddle's Mine has been done the way as you described..
                IE LC rear springs, dampers all round and the front end lifted on the Bars. I would defo go for the Freewheel hubs as they stop the daily wear and tear on the front UJ's.

I am running 16" rims with 305 Tyres that i am lead to beleive at close to the 33" tyres. (oh i had to put 30mm Spacers on) with the 305's.

As you probably saw i did not have that many problems going round the course and it looks rather nice as well.

Need anything else please let me know and i will see what i can do, but i did not do the lift work on the Truck it was done before i got it.

Cheers Mad
                Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

i will give you a hand when you have the bits and we are not working.
                  Show me where the trench is at or can i make one!

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie.t View Post
                    i will give you a hand when you have the bits and we are not working.
                    Thanks Dixie, I'm just going to get some new springs and wind the front end up. The springs will be +2's 'cos There is no point getting replacements then getting an upgrade later.

Comment

I'm just about to order Roughtrax +2" springs - what is the best way to fit them? do I need spring compressors or anything like that?
                      Last edited by puddlesurfer; 11 August 2010, 10:00.

Comment

Hopefully my new springs will be here today, Diff breather kit arrived yesterday! Today i'll be under my truck

Quick question though, when I unscrew my Fuel filler, It does sound a bit like a can of coke being opened, shouldn't there be a breather to stop this?

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                          I'm just about to order Roughtrax +2" springs - what is the best way to fit them? do I need spring compressors or anything like that?
                          If you can lift your truck high enough No
                          If you cant then you will need spring compressor's
                          I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evildwarf View Post
                            If you can lift your truck high enough No
                            If you cant then you will need spring compressor's
                            I'll buy a set just in case!

Comment

Working...
                            X