Passenger rear window thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger rear window thing

In short, some mud was splashed on my back passenger window. My friend wound the electric window down. There was a bang and the window stopped going down.
    We took it apart and what has happened is the metal piece attached to the glass along the bottom has separated from the glass. So the thing that should be attached to the glass was going up and down with the rest of the mechanism but the glass was just sitting in the runner. (I'm trying to be clear :/ )

What can I use to re bond this back to the glass? There is three parts, the metal bracket, a piece of thin rubber that sits inside the bracket and the glass itself. I was thinking of using sime kind of silicone mastic and a hair dryer (or the sun but not looking promising!)

Does anyone know what I mean?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

yep they are a pain when they do that i've not had it happen for a long time but i used sikaflex or similar and it works ok but i don't know if it needs to be flexible as sikaflex does remain slightly flexible (landrover use it for attaching panels to the steel skeleton)
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Tony, if you need a hair dryer you can use the one i have in my 3rd gen.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
        In short, some mud was splashed on my back passenger window. My friend wound the electric window down. There was a bang and the window stopped going down.
        We took it apart and what has happened is the metal piece attached to the glass along the bottom has separated from the glass. So the thing that should be attached to the glass was going up and down with the rest of the mechanism but the glass was just sitting in the runner. (I'm trying to be clear :/ )

What can I use to re bond this back to the glass? There is three parts, the metal bracket, a piece of thin rubber that sits inside the bracket and the glass itself. I was thinking of using sime kind of silicone mastic and a hair dryer (or the sun but not looking promising!)

Does anyone know what I mean?
        I had the same problem with the same window about 6 months ago and I just used a splash of Hobbycraft PVA craft glue between the metal and the rubber, and the rubber and the glass.

I made sure that the glue didn't spill out anywhere and it seems to be holding fine. From experience, when you need to separate this stuff from what it's bonded to it isn't actually that difficult!

Comment

I'm glad I'm not alone! I thought I was going to get some strange replies but I feel better now people know what I'm talking about and have seen this before!

Next idea then, When I replaced my diff, I bought some "instant gasket" to seal up the bell housing thing. I've still got quite a lot of this left as I only ran a small bead. Would instant gasket be overkill? It's basically black silicone (thats a bit expensive) but it would save me buying another tube of something else!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
            Tony, if you need a hair dryer you can use the one i have in my 3rd gen.

Did you get to go around Avalanche in the end? Thought you was going to get in with us. I let my friend drive around and was crapping it most of the way round!
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

PVA will disolve in water. The gasket stuff you have will do as long as it's compatable with rubber. If the rubber and the track are in good condition you shouldn't need it though.

Nev
              Last edited by NiftyNev; 5 August 2010, 11:31.

Comment

I use sikaflex or Wurth Bond and seal between metal, rubber and glass. Then wind window up under its own pressure and leave for a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post

Did you get to go around Avalanche in the end? Thought you was going to get in with us. I let my friend drive around and was crapping it most of the way round!
                  Ye i went round with grassman on sunday, enjoyed it.

It looked a bit cramped in yours with the 2 big feckers in the back so i thought better of it.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley View Post
                    I use sikaflex or Wurth Bond and seal between metal, rubber and glass. Then wind window up under its own pressure and leave for a couple of days.
                    Thats actually a better idea than I had. I was going to remove the whole thing and let it dry outside the car. But if I can take the door card off and get to it that way then I wont need to remove it at all.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                      Ye i went round with grassman on sunday, enjoyed it.

It looked a bit cramped in yours with the 2 big feckers in the back so i thought better of it.
                      Yea the Surf isnt that big in the back. There would have been room though, or one of them was going in the boot
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X