+2" sus lift..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +2" sus lift..

Pondering the purchase of +2" lift kit from Rtrax.
    Would I need to fit anything else, like balljoint spacers with a 2" lift ?
    Can anyone advise me either way based on experience, am I going to run into any grief, chewing driveshafts,CV boots etc...
    Last edited by malxwal; 1 August 2010, 17:48.
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Bump ...
    Anybody ?
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

You picked the wrong weekend to ask! Isn't everyone at Avalanche?!

If you try searching the forum you'll find plenty of discussion on 2" suspension lifts (above and on the centre-right of the first post on a thread).

Generally you don't need to do anything else but it may be helpful to add ball joint spacers and/or freewheel hubs to reduce the stress/angle the CVs encounter.

Personally I intend to do both when funds permit. I'll probably do the FWHs first cos it looks an easy job and it'll save me doing them once I've done a 2" suspension lift.

Before either I'll probably do a 2" body lift cos it's even cheaper and I haven't got any money! (At least until September/October time and then I'll be busy as hell and won't have the time to do very much at all to the truck til next summer)

Hope this is useful info. I'm sure other folks will reply once they get back from Avalanche...
      Last edited by Rustinho; 1 August 2010, 18:25.

Comment

Have a look here for my write up of fitting a Roughtrax 2" suspension lift.

I've now got manual hubs fitted too. Though after the lift and with the front end in the air and wheels hanging down there was no clicks, bangs or judders from the CV joints.

Regards

TFB

Comment

Cheers, are the torsion bars/ball joint spacers etc a mandatory job with a 2" lift ? I don't really have time to be fixing the truck every weekend, so it's either got to be standard or done right 1st time !
          Last edited by malxwal; 1 August 2010, 20:37.
          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Torsion bars - yes if you want to level the truck out, although mine didn't need it. Ball joint spacers - no, but they do reduce wear on the CV joints. I've had a 2" body and 2" suspension lift done but haven't fitted BJ spacers.
            'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Hmm, it's all looking a bit "standard"...really don't have time/money for pfaffing about.......keep the advice coming though, and thatnks to those who've responded !
              3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

You don't need the torsion bars, you have a third gen.

Comment

Doh, !
                  3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by K2Surf View Post
                    You don't need the torsion bars, you have a third gen.
                    Cack, I didn't notice that! Disregard all my advice mate, I was talking 2nd gen!
                    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal@yahoo.co.uk View Post
                      Cheers, are the torsion bars/ball joint spacers etc a mandatory job with a 2" lift ? I don't really have time to be fixing the truck every weekend, so it's either got to be standard or done right 1st time !
                      Your truck does not have torsion bars

£400 will buy you a full 2" lift kit from roughtrax. Or a cheap street queen way, just stick spring spacers in.

Remember 2" lift won't be enough to allow 33" tyres.
                      Last edited by yoshie; 2 August 2010, 11:16.
                      Brian

Comment

Thanks all, I have opted for the standard suspension,(ie Rtrax "uprated" springs, Monroe gas shocks). That, a set of GG AT2's, a timing belt and oil & filter change, and we're all set for, well, Autumn...
                        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal@yahoo.co.uk View Post
                          a set of GG AT2's
                          How much did you get these for if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Haven't got them yet, but it's looking I'll end up paying about £120 a corner.
                            3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Working...
                            X