• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• write-off?

can anyone help? just been hit up the back end in my '93 2.4td ssrx
    theres a danger that it will be written off,any idea of todays value
    and if it is written off how much should i offer to buy it back
    we have had it for five years now and dont want to lose it.the damage is to me very slight,the rear bumper pushed down and in touching the spare wheel and quarter bumpers off the brackets ripples to the rear offside lower quarter panel. any help would be great.

thanks chris (drummerboy)

hi mate mine has been written off twice now the first time i ran into another car my ins com valued my surf at 2,700 its a k reg and was in mint condition oh and the crash was 2 years ago ,the thing is as it wasnt mot,able they took it away and i had to pay £400 to get it back you see if its not roadworthy they have to take it so make sure that the lights work and its drivable .the second time was about 2 months ago and it was the other persons felt the damage was to the front wing and a small dent to the front bumper but as all the lights worked they didn't have to take it away and gave me £1,800 and said that i could keep it both times it was a cat c.if its an a or b then they will destroy it .just one more light write off and the car has made me a profit
    this was the damage the 2nd time

and this is it after the extensive rebuild well i hit it with a hammer

the first time i was left with this

but after a phone call to stormforce
    Last edited by steve s; 26 July 2010, 21:18.

Comment

sorry to hear about your crash.

have the insurance company contacted you yet??
      My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

We ended up getting £1980 for my 3.0 L '94 manual in Janruary this year after a first offer from the insurers of £1200.
        We had to provide the insurers with comparable conditioned advertised models which we found on sites such as Ebay (completed listings is a help) and Autotrader and then the haggling begins as they obviously want to give you as little as possible.
        I was told that the repair bill would have been around £1300 but they automatically write them off after they reach a certain age regardless of repair costs.
        There's a reason why our premiums go up ..... they give you more money than what a repair would cost .... sounds nut to me !!

Comment

write off?

Thanks guys,yes the ins have been in touch and the car is in their garage and has been assessed.
          they quoted the figure of £1880.00 for materials,and they have the ins inspector coming today wed 28th.Doesn't sound too good does it?
          What kind of amount do i offer them,or do they give me an amount,do i have to accept the first offer? I really don't have a clue.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks chris (drummerboy)

Comment

write off?

Steve S, thanks for the pics.Stormforce has done a great job was it expensive......excellent job stormforce

chris (drummerboy)

Comment

well richard supled the parts i fitted them oh and a new rad from milner .richards parts are not expensive and p+p is also a very good.they will tell you what they want for your car but you should be able to get a little more out of them than there first offer ,mind you saying that ,to be given £1,800 for the sort of damage i expect to get off roading was very nice

Comment

write-off

hi all it turns out that my '93 car is a "cat c" write off,they offered me £1400.00 but thanks to your advice i refused,wanting just to have my car back on the road.
                Got a call this morning offering £1800 plus the car and told that my fully comp ins will go down to 3rd party only till car is repaired and vic tested
                then back up to fully comp.

Comment

hi mate nice one but you dont have to have a write off vic tested and i still have full comp .the only thing that will change if you dont (like me)have your car VIC tested are .1 you cant sell the car as the new owner wont be able to get a log book.2 if you loose your log book you cant get another one .3 you wont get a road tax reminder .this shouldn't affect your ins.

Comment

and another thing ,is your car roadworthy / M.O.T.able if it is then theres no reason that your ins should change .and the vic test only proves that you repaired a write off and didn't go steel another car the same color and swap number plates .speak to your ins comp ,i think they are talking crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X