35" tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
    3.63:1 if you don't adjust is a massive drop in usefull ratio for off road and for on road when you reach the carpark ramp.
    A small price to pay for big looking tyres!!!!

I can always stick the old smaller ones back on for off roading!!!

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms View Post
      A small price to pay for big looking tyres!!!!

I can always stick the old smaller ones back on for off roading!!!
      Depends what you are after, the large tyres give clearance off road.
      I suppose if it's just the look your after at the expense of a useable truck then form over function is the way to go.

The original OP has built his truck to use off road, telling someone 35s look cool is fine and true, I only added a word of caution about the trade off.

You could do as I do and change trucks for off and on road, saves bending to change wheels
      Brian

Comment

You could do as I do and change trucks for off and on road, saves bending to change wheels
        Nope, wife will only me 2 two cars and another surf might be a bit heavy on fuel for my daily 180 mile commute!

Regards
        TFB

Comment

Nope thats a 4.556 and not as low as the G144 G145 options which are more common on 2.4
          That is true but I was just pointing out that the two you listed were not the only ones available and if he was going to go from what you listed without checking then he may run into even more hassle if he has the same ratio as I do?

As you know about these, how are the diff ratios and transfer boxes paired? As my ratio is 4.556 and a lot are 4.88 is the gearing elsewhere different or was it spec'd to vehicles that went out of the factory with smaller diameter tyres in order to make sure the speedo reads correctly?

The reason I ask is that my speedo is out and it always reads slower than I am actually going and I'm running what is considered to be the standard 31x10.5r15 sized tyres.

Thanks in advance Yoshie and sorry for hijacking your thread, TFB.

Thanks,

Ray.
          I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

The Diff ratio you have is listed as the 31" tyres option.

Gear Ratio in the diff is the teeth on the ring grear divided by the pinion teeth. For example, 41/10 gives you a 4.10:1 gear ratio

If you think the diffs might have been changed mate you can check.

Block the tyres at one end of the vehicle to keep it from rolling, and then jack up a wheel on the other end.
            Place the transmission in neutral and release the parking brake if you are checking the rear diff.
            Spin the wheel two full revolutions while at the same time counting exactly how many revolutions the driveshaft spins (marking the driveshaft and tyres will make it easier to count revolutions).
            The number of revolutions the driveshaft spins is your gear ratio.
            If it spins just over 4 times, then the ratio is probably 4.10; 4-1/3 = 4.30; 4-1/2 = 4.56; just under 5 = 4.88; 5-1/3 = 5.29, etc.

LSD will need both wheels off the ground
            Last edited by yoshie; 28 July 2010, 20:38.
            Brian

Comment

Thanks alot Yoshie, I'll try to check at the weekend.
              I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Working...
              X