Console pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console pics

Hi all, my first post. I was just looking at a thread about 3rd gen console layouts. I have a 96 N SSR-G. It had a ratty old stereo fitted when I got it and the electric aerial had been snapped off so I decided some updating and renovation was required.

The console layout was from top to bottom, heater controls, stereo, open cubby and finally a cubby with a lid on. I decided to take a chance and get one of those double din touchscreen all singing, all dancing stereos from China via eBay. It was supposedly the correct size and fitted the mounting brackets okay after grinding off a couple of the locating studs which are used to line up the cubbys.

I mounted it all up without the cubbys to check out its operation. When the stereo is powered on, the front tilts forward from the bottom about half an inch, and can then be moved to your desired angle. On power off, it closes up again but I found that the screen would not close up properly. It butted up against the edge of the plastic surround of the console. Not very good.

The options were to trim back the edge of the surround or somehow mount the unit lower down. I decided I didn't want to damage the surround by trimming it so would have to lower the unit. This turned out to be quite easy as it happened. All I did was to elongate the bracket mounting holes so they would sit lower on the mounting screws, thus dropping the brackets. This also meant that a cubby would still fit in the brackets below the unit. However, this meant I would not be able to use the cubby with the lid as it would sit below the lip of the console surround and thus would not be able to be opened.

I fitted the other cubby and re-fitted the whole thing with pretty good results. It all works pretty well along with a new universal fitting electric aerial, another eBay find for £20 inclusive.
    Crack on drive!

Hi, if you have any pics of what you've done post em up, i fitted one of those chinese tellys some time ago, dont remember any fitting probs but mines a 2nd gen, i think i had to chop the surround a bit tho, my units an older one, the front just drops forward for inserting cd's dvd's etc,
    and welcome to the site!!!
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

welcome dude
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I've posted some pics in Technical - Electrical, Console Pics, where I was originally trying to post, if you're interested.
        Crack on drive!

Comment

Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
          X